Sinker help

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by shortbus, Dec 30, 2005.

1. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'm going to make a mold for some 2oz no-roll sinkers here real soon. Can someone take a few measurements of one for me? Just need the width at the widest part, how tall they are and about how thick they are. I can profile the rest. Thanx, Josh

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've seen several different shapes, plus some that had a place to tie the sinker on, and some that had a hole through them like an egg sinker. IMO, your best bet would be to look at no-roll sinkers at tackle/bait shops till you find the exact style you like, buy one, and use it for a model. Have you checked what's available from good manufacturers like Do-It? I've got several homemade molds, and the amount of work required on the 'finished' product is unreal...time consuming...aggrevating...not worth messing with. I haven't used them in years; if I only need 2 or 3, I just buy them at the store; if I need a lot, I buy a decent mold. The only reason I even keep them is sentimental.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    8-oz .468 thick x 1.532 wide x 2.455 high

6-oz .428 thick x 1.395 wide x 2.243 high

5-oz .405 thick x 1.316 wide x 2.115 high

4-oz .377 thick x 1.222 wide x 1.958 high

3-oz .341 thick x 1.110 wide x 1.775 high

2-oz .305 thick x .988 wide x 1.570 high

1.5-oz .288 thick x .900 wide x 1.422 high

1-oz .245 thick x .781 wide x 1.249 high

All have .093 diameter core hole. Good luck with the mold. I know how much work that is to save 28 bucks.

Attached Files:

4. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    How do you make your own mold?

5. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It AIN'T EASY!! My dad made one last year. He's retired and gets bored easy, so he did it. He used two pieces of aluminum bar stock just like the commercially sold models.

First he drilled the pour holes into the approximate location for each sinker cavity by clamping the two pcs together and drilling down through the mating line, so in effect he had "half a hole" in each pc of bar stock when the mold was opened. Next he ground out the shape he wanted(at half-thickness, of course) out of one side. Next he attatched the hinge. Then applied dark grease to the inside of one of the pcs of bar stock, closed the mold, carefully opened the mold. Any high spots were visible from the grease being tranferred from one side to the other. He then removed material from one or the other until he was satified with the mating of the two. Then he marked and ground out the corresponding side of each cavity to create the other half of the sinker shape. All that was left was to attatch the handles, and he was done.

Trust me, it takes WAAAAY longer in practice, than it does to type. If your into self-punishment, make a sinker mold!

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    He's gonna machine them. probibly using a CNC(computer numerical control) machining center I would imagine. Profile says he has a machine shop.

with a good programmer, Machinist, and CNC machine it would be a snap to make a mold just as good if not better then any you can buy.

its all about having the right resorces. Making one by hand w/o at least a manual mill would be difficult to say the least. But if you had access to a machine shop........too easy.

7. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    brad k has it right on the money,,, cnc mill

Thanx for the numbers Ol, Whiskers

8. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Yah ik all about CNC's. My dads a machinist also that runs CNC machines mabey i could get him to do a little after work project. My uncle owns the shop so he probably wont mind.