Sinker drop in Heavy Current

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Does anyone have a techniqe to make your sinkers drop faster in the current ? Close your bail after splash down and reel in some line ? Or just overcast and hope it drops where you intended it to .
    Thanks
    Brian

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The faster the current the heavier the weight. Sounds simple but it's true...W

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I just use the direction of current to determine wher I should cast to get it where I want. If I close the bail and reel in then it will be to close and not in prime fishing area, the weight will drop at an arrch when you do that.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Cast above the point and leave bail open.You want to pay out line to let the sinker get down fastest and where you want it.This is where braided line has a disticnt advantage as it is far thinner,cuts thru the water better and the sinker gets to the bottom faster.You will also as a general rule need less sinker to get there than mono_On the James the normal sinker is 6-8 oz with mono and I get by with 4 on braid.:smile2:

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    It depends on the sinkers also. Cannonball sinkers drop faster than any other sinker in the water given theres enough weight to keep them on the bottom.

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I also try to hold the rod tip as high as I can with the bail open to minimize the drag on the line.

ST

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks all this is the info I was looking for .
    Brian