Sinker Design

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by waldorftbeagle, Sep 26, 2007.

1. waldorftbeagle

waldorftbeagle New Member

State:
    NC
    I really paid attention at the last meeting and I have been trying to make those shoe string sinkers you guys have.

I had no luck with the shoe strings BUT! I made a design change. I am an IT guy, "Computer geek" and I have a ton of UTP-CAT 5 "computer network" cable lying around.

I pulled the wiring out of a section of CAT 5 and used the hollow cover as my sinker cover. I melted one end with a lighter and poured shot "Shotgun and Regular small split shot" into the cover. Sealed the open end with the lighter and then heated a needle and made my line hole. This is flex-able, water proof and should do well in snag prone areas. just a tip in case you want to make some sinkers. I will be using cat 5 for my sinkers. Hopefully it will work for someone.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks!

Sounds like a great idea, but - can you descrieb this CAT-5 cable cover for me? Is it sort of a braided mono mesh sort of thing?

3. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    Sure the jacket is made of Polyvinyl Chloride. It is a soft tough plastic type material that flexes. You can bend it double with ease. It feel similar to a rubber/soft plastic material almost like a poly-urethane PVC because they use [FONT=&quot]Diisooctyl-phthalate which is a softener used in plastics. It is very similar to the jacket on the RJ11 phone cords you use in your house. It is larger "Circumfence" and is more flexable. I have it in blue, yellow, purple, green red and gray.

I have attached a pic
    [/FONT]

4. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    Attached is a pic of the indoor cat 5 cable. I pull the wires out and use the jacket for the sinkers. Think they will work great

Attached Files:

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks good. Where do ya obtain it and what is the cost? THANX.

6. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    You can buy it at best buy, radio shack, Wal-Mart OR buy it on-line. On-line will probably offer a better cost. For me, since I work in IT I have it in bulk so to take a few feet for sinkers is 0 cost for me.

On-line you can buy it at great cables "Link below". (1) 20' foot cable is like 5 dollars. You could make a good many sinkers for 5 dollars.

http://www.greatcables.com/C5E20XX

Wal-mart has 25 foot for $8.95.

25 foot = http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=932041

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    CAT5 cable is a cable that is used in computer networking. Its pairs of phone wire. HomeDepot sells it by the 1000' rolls or you can have them cut it to legnth. I just think that if it gets snagged it will tear alot easier that ising the shoestring or parachute cord. Go to any new construction site where they are near compleation and you can probally find some scrap. Its what is used for all phone systems in houses and commercial building.

8. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    We will see if it tears. The cable I am using is not the bulk roll although I have that. I cut the RJ45's off of some 25 foot belkins. The cover is tough and tight. If it tears then it will be hung on something very sharp.

We will see. This is a new design for me. It looks really good, it was free for me and even for someone who wants to try it you can do so for less than 10 bucks.

I will report back later after I have fished with it a while. Also, I will post a couple pics of the sinkers I have made within the next few days

9. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    P.S. House phone systems use cat 3 or less. Just an FYI

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the great idea! I have a buddy that does installs for a major company that I can get lots of it from. I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks again...I shipped you reps for the info! :big_smile:

11. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Good idea. I will have to give it a try.

12. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    Here are some pics

Attached Files:

13. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    second pic showing the ends opened with the wires pulled out. All you do is heat the end with a lighter and clamp it with a pair of pliers while it is hot. Heat a paper clip or needle, punch your hole near the end and you are done

14. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    okay lets try this one

15. jmprice44

jmprice44 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    What a great idea! I have plenty of old Cat5 pieces but had trouble finding parachute cord.

16. waldorftbeagle

State:
    NC
    one more time I hopr

Attached Files: