Single, Dual or Center console?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by wolfman, May 11, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Everyone is different and have their preference when choosing a fishing boat. Im just curious to what is the advantages and disadvantages in the 3 console styles and your preferneces are?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Center console makes the boat more fishable.
    You can fish around the boat instead of through it and that is important with some species of fish.
    To me a well laid out boat is one you can run around fighting a fish without jumping hurdles climbing or crawling. The more of the boat I can keep on the same elevation the better.

But it all depends on how you fish. Some folks anchor down and always fish off the back of the boat. I prefer my rods along the side.
    Some folks want windscreens for the cold months along with a soft top.
    I dont fish too much in cold weather.

Center consoles use more floor space but they keep the junk in the middle of the boat out of the way of traffic in the boat.

These days with gas prices I'm more concerned with well built and lighter weight with a compromising hull shape so I can use alot smaller motors without much loss of performance.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I thought I liked my new side-console Xpress 18 ft until I went fishing with a professional guide the other day...

He has a 22 ft Crestliner dual-console with full windshield and 4 swiveling captain's chairs. Nice bimini top with removable side and rear curtains - allows him to fish in all kinds of weather (in fact, he remarked that he is warmer fishing in the winter than we were the other day...) - he has rod holders mounted across the back of the boat just in front of the outboard, plus a big bait tank up on the front deck. You can sit very comfortably in the seats under the bimini top, watch for your pole to bend over double and get up to grab it without moving around much. That setup works perfectly for anchored fishing in a river current or drift fishing on a lake, which is primarily how I like to fish. We had 5 lines in the water simultaneously and never had any issues with tangled lines.

I'm still fairly happy with my new boat but am already thinking of trading it before next season. I can't fish out of the rear of the boat comfortably - the boat has the typical raised casting decks fore and aft, and there's nowhere for 2 people to sit on the rear deck while watching their poles. It works well for drift fishing but you have to drift with the boat sideways to the wind, which I think affects how your bait moves as you drift and may impact the bite. The Lund 2000 Sport Angler really catches my eye - http://www.lundboats.com/20001800sportangler_06.html - take a look at the floorplan and notice all the open room. Unfortunately, though, it comes in at nearly $30k with a 150hp Mercury Optimax - and that's not in my price range.

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Any type you can afford...get on the water.

5. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    4th style: TILLER. no console in the way 100% open boat.

6. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    I fished out of that crestliner myself last year and it is a fantastic boat,I had asked that guide what he thought about a pontoon boat,he said he would rather have one but with his business "to be able to fish all year in all weather condition he needed a boat that could handle the ruffer water",I'm going to get a pontoon.

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    It's all just what ever you like. My last boat was a center console which was awesome for fishing but come duck season, it was in the way. Which is why my new boat is a side console, because I need the open room in the middle. Tillers are nice too but if you want to get into the bigger engines, you have to go with a console.

8. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have a Smokercraft 20 footer dual console full windshield, only complaint is it rides a little on the rough side when the river has a good chop on it.

Inside of my boat is huge, you have to take three steps to get to the rods, for me and my wife it is the perfect catfishing boat. Has loads of room for storage and that windshield is great when it is cold or the rain is coming down, we had a custom built Bimini put on it this winter and it has been great, I had it made using poles intead of the normal straps that they have holding them down so the unit is rock solid on the boat.

Flathunter and Mellon both fished out of my boat and we had plenty of room and none of us missed too many taters at the supper table:big_smile_2:

Here's a picture of me and my Granddaughter with her first Ohio river catfish, I'm sitting on the livewell at the back of the boat, where the bag is where my Greyline baittank is normally located.........Doc

Attached Files:

• BOC.jpg
      BOC.jpg
      File size:
      62.9 KB
      Views:
  9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Doc's boat is about perfect for the Ohio river & such. I can dream of the day when I have one like that. I just worry because I don't know much about the mainteance of something that nice.

I will agree w/ Dip (Did I just say that? :wink: ) open is the way to go in a small boat. I have a Bass Tracker Pro Guide 14 Deep V & it has a console & we loose LOTS of NEEDED room.

10. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I love my center console but the problem is you lose floor room but like Mark said you can walk all the way around the boat. Well maybe his boat....Mine has too much useless stuff in the floor that I should leave at home. :smile2:

Mine is a G3 tunnel and the console is center forward also but has a tall seat and gives me good visibility.

With the weight forward I can take off in 1.5' of water without touching the bottom.

Beats the heck out of idling 2 miles so you can get in it and thats where I fish.