Simple Shrimp-Macaroni Salad

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by jtrew, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Simple Shrimp-Macaroni Salad

2# shrimp, cooked, cut into small pieces (Or use the tiny pre-cooked shrimp; save money, and don't have to cut them up.)
    2 or 3 bunches green onions (Use the white and light green parts; discard the dark green tops.)
    2 cups celery, diced (dice small or large, depending on how much you want to taste the celery)
    16 oz. elbow macaroni
    1 -1 1/2 cups mayonnaise (You could probably use Miracle Whip if you like it, but I've never tried it.)

Cook macaroni according to instructions. Dump cooked macaroni into colander and pour cold tap water over it to stop cooking. Transfer macaroni to large mixing bowl. Add shrimp, green onions, celery to macaroni and mix enough to tell if you want to add more onions or celery. Add 1 cup mayonnaise and mix well. Add more mayonnaise to taste, if necessary. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 or 3 hours; overnight is better. If you like, add a little salt, Cavenders, Zatarains, Tony Chacheres, or other seasoning to your individual serving.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Ya makin me hungry!! I am gonna try that for sure!!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerry,I aint much on macaroni salads,I do eat some once in a while tho. This makes me want some. I'll add it to my list an try it for sure. Thanks.

4. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    Jerry, when my mom used to want me to visit she'd call me and say "I Made shrimp salad" and it was dang near identical to yours cept she just used regular onions. I could eat it for days and did sometimes. She always said "don't skimp on the shrimp" heheh, words to live by. Thanks for the recipe as it brings back some tasty memories. Now days I make some and take it to her in the nursing home. She just looks at me and says " this tastes like the shrimp salad I used to make for my sons".