SIMPLE RIG CARPING

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 9, 2009.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SINCE NOONE HERE IN LHC FISHES FOR CARP IM GOING TO MAKE MY TRUSTY CARP BAIT AND TRY A DIFFERENT RIG TONITE....

IM GOING TO TAKE A #2-#4TREBLE AND BALL IT UP LIKE THE BOILIES BUT LEAVE ONE BARD EXPOSED.........

MABY IT WILL WORK OR MABY NOT ?!?!?!?!?!?!?:wink:

THEIR NOT TARGETED HERE SO WHO KNOWS?!?!?!?!?:wink:

LeRoy:smile2:

2. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck with your trip, but I would advise to stay away from trebles, they can sometimes cause more harm than good. I quit using any trebles for carp or catfish. First for fish safety, and second because I was getting better hookups on a normal hook. I think that with a standard hook when you set it all the power is concentrated on one point, and not multiple areas. More solid hookups for me.

Even unpressured sometimes a hair rig will increase you hook up ratio. A hair rig is not about outsmarting wary fish, it takes advantage of the suck and blow feeding habit of the carp. They suck in debris and filter it out, so with a hair rig they suck in the bait, and it seems okay but there is a piece of debris that must go. So they try to spit that out and it just so happens to be a hook and pricks them, they spook and then you drive it home. Even on untouched carp hair rigs offer more solid hookups, and increase the ratios, when tied properly. They are not used on bottom feeding catfish due to the fact they do not suck in the food, they grab it. Of course I sometimes use a plain hook and some bread set to float about 6 to 12 inches above the bottom. Simple and deadly in many cases.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    AFTER LAST NIGHT ILL PROBABLY STICK TO THE HAIR RIG..... MONSTER 4 FT COMMONS WERE SWIMING AROUND!!!!!!!!!!
    I SAW MY LINE TWITCH SO I WOULD OF HAD MANY FOR BITES IF USING THE HAIR RIG!!!!!

IM GOING TO MAKE A DEAL WITH MY BUDDIES TO....... ILL MAKE ALL THE HAIR RIGS AND THE NEEDLES IF THEY BUY THE BREAD AND CORNMEAL TO CHUM WIT......... SOUNDS LIKE IM TAKING THE EASY WAY OUT BUT NOONE CAN TYE SNELLS OR THE RIGGING STYLE + ( ID FEEL SAFER USING SOMETHING I MADE !!!):wink:

LeRoy

4. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would never lead anyone astray. I show many anglers hair rigs on the bank of the local pond, and many doubt it until I am hooking up on bites and they are swinging and missing on twitches. Sounds like you have some good water to fish in, but I suspect that if the fish are 4 feet long you are seeing grass carp, and they are a whole different situation. If the common are in fact 4ft (48 inches) then you are seeing rare 50lb range fish, maybe even pushing 60 assuming they have any girth to them. However, grass carp do reach the massive sizes easily.

BTW- My goal this week is to break my grass carp PB. I will devote hours and I hope I come up winning.

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I SAW A CARP DOWN THERE AT THE DOCK THAT WAS AT LEAST 3 1/2 FT !!!!!!!!!!( HEAD LIKE A MILK JUG )

HUGE..............I MEAN HUGE !!!!!!!!!

IM GOING AGAIN SOON WITH THE HAIR RIGS !!!

AND THESE ARE COMMONS TOO!!!!! I DONT THINK WE HAVE GRAS CARP HERE IN LHC !!!!!!!!

6. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck with your endeavours. If they are 4ft long you are looking at, what if verified, may be the largest commons in US recorded history, the leviathans of the old photographs excluded. 57lbs or so may be the largest recorded in the US that has been verified. Excluding those shot with a bow, I am not sure of that record. Where is LHC?

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Been a long time since I,ve seen a true 4ft common anywhere.I saw quite a few caught when i was a kid down in the allegheny by the H.J.Heinz plant outflow.Thats when you only had carp & cats in the 3 rivers.Seen 99% of them thrown back in too.Pittsburgh, PA.:eek:oooh: