Simple fix for sticky trailer to truck plugs

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by baptistpreach, Aug 15, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    My dad gave me a good tip a while back about the electrical plug for your trailer and truck. Put some grease on it! It makes it easier to plug in and pull off, and keeps water out of the plug! Simple, but makes a big difference!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Years ago, someone told me the same thing about preventing corrosion on my battery terminals. Luckily, when my car wouldn't start, I was in a gas station, and one of the guys there knew what my problem was. GREASE IS AN INSULATOR! Once the grease makes its way between all the connections, you no longer have electrical contact--no lights. However, I do think that they make a grease substitute that does not act as an insulator; check with your local auto parts store.

3. headbanginhillbilly

headbanginhillbilly New Member

State:
    holden,missouri
    I work at a battery plant where we make the sears die hard batteries and we use a no ox grease on the terminals. I'll find out what brand it is and repost but I know it has no effect on making a connection.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used axle grease on my battery, and while it didn't immediately cause a problem, eventually it did, and my car wouldn't start. Took the cables loose, cleaned all the grease off, and it started right up. Obviously, something made especially for putting on battery terminals/connections wouldn't have that effect.

Here's something else that I bet would work. Get you a couple of pieces of closed-cell foam and put one piece on each flat side of the trailer light connection. Hold them tightly together with a couple of heavy-duty rubber bands.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  6. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    someone makes conductive grease. people use it on antenna for ham radio and for radio towers:cool2:

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    If you keep your contacts clean you only need the grease on the rim of the connector.
    Don't need to put it on the contacts themselves to make it water & dirt tight.

8. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    For 12 volt electrical connections use silicone grease.

9. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    You can get the conductive grease at Radio Shack, and most auto parts stores. It is not needed if you only put axel grease along the outside where they slide. Keep it away from the contacts. You dont need that much anyway.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Speaking of batteries, I don't see the battery post corrosion that I saw years ago. Last year I replaced the 5 year old battery in my pontoon boat... the post and cables were clean as new. The battery in wifes Lincoln is 6.5 years old.. clean as when it left the Ford factory. Years ago I would have to clean the cable connectors and battery post with soda and water, then apply Vaseline. The last 20 years... I do nothing. I guess it's because they are maintenance free.

Attached Files:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The problem with axle grease is that it doesn't stay right where you put it. When I put the axle grease on my battery terminals, I had them tightly attached to the battery posts. Now, it took a month or six weeks, but eventually, the axle grease migrated in between the posts and the terminals, preventing electrical contact. I guess you could go out every week or two with some alcohol and Q-tips and clean the connectors of any grease, but it seems a lot simpler to use the grease that's made for that purpose.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I keep an old male plug (dummy) on my truck's trailer connection...keeps it clean and grit free.