Silverwood dam and Google earth

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catman2, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    over at the silverwood dam, far west side where the inlet is, it says no swimming or fishing, although I always see people over there fishing, I wont risk breaking the law but Im wondering if anybody knows of fisherman getting caught there and given fines? Im thinking there must not be alot of pressure from dfg cuz word of mouth would basically stop them? If you want to fish that end I just go as far as I can without passing that fence, Im still near the inlet and have caught trout there (6 lb. my biggest back when it was alot cooler, caught him on a shrimp dipped red sponged treble hook) I have not fished for cats there in along time, but am planning a getaway to play the dam...
    google earth has a good photo of the lake and dam, I found it comes in handy to check out unfamiliar and even familiar lakes using google earth. it gives you a different prospective looking at it from space, but you probably already 'been there done that.' give me a break, Im still new baby to the brotherhood.
    :wink:

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Russ welcome to the BOC!
    I never fished Silverwood but hope to fish there some day. I hear Silverwood has big strippers.

Jaime

3. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I've fished next to that fence a number of times and no one has ever said anything about it, I've even had Wardens check my lic. while there . Just stay out of the fenced area.
    Next time try fly lining an anchovy or sardine, there are some good stripers that cruse around there and a few cats.
    If your in a boat, anchor as close to the buoy line as you can get and try fly lining or very small weight to help the bait fall in the current from the in flow.

4. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    Thats the secret there, useing a lighter weight to drift in the current, yea I dont cross that fence either. Ive never fly fished before either...thats a whole different art there.

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Not fly fishing, fly lining. That is a term that means fishing your bait on an unweighted line. It allows for the bait to drift slowly down and be affected by the currents so it appears to be a free meal.

6. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    yea I misuderstood ya. what ya useing for bait?

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Anchovies or sardines when you can find them, fresher the better. Cut the anchovies into 1" size or use them whole to slow down the schoolies. The 'dines I like to cut into slightly larger chunks or fillet them and use whole fillets using thread to tie them onto the hook and line folding the skin so the meat side is fully exposed to the water, it allows the blood and oil to permeate the area.

8. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    okay that sounds good. I will try that. thanks. hey Tom ever try surf/pier fishing? I would like to do goleta, ca. heard thats a great place for pier and surf fishing, the ocean holds so much, natural, un-planted species...I would really like to haul in a huge halibut, without paying for a guided trip if you know what I mean. Ive heard of alot of people catching halibut off goleta and other piers/surf.
    Russ~

9. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    'Buts on the beach, huh? I don't do surf fishing but may give it a try.
    As I understand it Halibut caught in the surf are mostly shorts although I did see a report of someone catching a 30 lb 'but on the beach in Oceanside a couple of weeks ago. I would think that the time to fish them would be coinciding with grunion running as halibut love to eat grunion and that would bring them in close.