Silver Thread Line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by DemolitionMan, Apr 11, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Does anyone use Silver Thread Excaliber???? I know it's a clear line and all, but how does it hold up for catfishing old rivers????DemoMan

2. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    It is a excellent line. High abrasion resistance.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the information.....I'll check it out....Do you know what the best is, AN40, Super, or Excaliber?????DemoMan

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I bought a new bulk spool but haven't tried it out yet.I have always used Ande but it is getting hard to find.Hope it is as abrasion resistant as the Ande.
    Jake

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've a quarter pound spool of 20 lb test but haven't been happy with it. Respooled my 6500 with Cajun Red, its been much better. Got the Silver Thread on sale, Gander Mountain was closiing out on the line, so it may be very old line. On the other hand, I've used the 30 lb test for leaders for over a year and its been a good line for that.

6. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    silver thread excalibur is exellent line .I use it almost exclusively.it casts well,has a smaller diameter than an equal monofilament,has good knot strenth,its very abbrasion resistant and tests above the line rating.Only 2 cons i know of 1 it has alot of stretch.2 it is a copolimer line that is oval not round so it twists easily.I resently bought 2 bulk spools of flourescent trilene big game line.Ive had an opportunity to try it out twice so far i like it.I thought id never use trilene or any other line again.My thanks go out to the BOC for the recomendation.

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    i used excaliber years ago bass fishing for a long time for flipping . one word tough you should not be dissapointed . and if i remember correctly the price wasnt bad either.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post. However I still prefer Berkley Big Game or Suffix.:lol: :big_smile:

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info people....I've also got some Cajun Red myself....DemoMan

10. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    recently switched from Silver thread to Cajun Red. The silver thread was alright, it just seemed to breakdown quicker. Dont know if it was because it was a copolymer or not. Much happier with the cajun red.

Dru

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    The trouble I've had with all of the copolymer lines is that as stong and tough as they are they break easily if kinked from a backlash or a twist. I've tried lots of line, keep go'n back to Triline Big Game and XT.

12. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    kyjake,

Do a google search on "Ande Fishing Line" and it will pop up with a lot of good sites...I know I've ran across it all over the net.....

Thanks for the info guys.....Sounds like I need to swap to Big Game....DemoMan

13. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I now have one reel spooled with Silver Thread AN40,used it on one trip and it handled very well.Will know more about it after a lot of cast and dragging it
    back in over rocks and other rough bottom.
    Jake

14. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I wished they made it in a Hi-Vis color, like yellow or blue....I'm also looking at the Salwater line they have....Wonder why they don't make a hi-vis line????DemoMan

15. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I guess I'm gonna have to settle for something in a green color...Either the "Saltwater", "AN-40", or the "Super", in 25 or 30#....I'm also looking at the Big Game in the "Electric Blue"......Decisions, decisions.....DemoMan

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Ok, I've done it....I ordered Berkley Big Game in 30# and 20# in Solor Collector color....It's amazing how much trust can be put in our fellow BOC members.....Dwight