Silver Queen corn

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by chambers bd, Jul 17, 2008.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    HI fOLKS
    I should have Silver Queen with a week, Im looking forward to some nice roasting ears.:big_smile:

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That's about all my neighbor will plant. I like it, but prefer Kandy Korn. I got mine in late, so it just started showing silk this week.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where do you have your corn patch hid. Love this corn I think its the best out there.Sure wish I was your neighbor.:smile2:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep, I would like to be your neighbor right about now. Congrats on the corn and I hope you enjoy your roasting ears

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    theres a thread in general now about how to grill em. share recipies there. however it may get moved to diner. so maybe look there. or maybe not.:confused2:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Never tried that. Usually peaches and creme here.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    We plant 5 acres every year with 4 different variaties.
    1. Funks G90 (Yellow and White mixed) (Very good flavor, very sweet)
    2. Silver King (White) (Just right)
    3. Silver Queen (White) (Very wseet)
    4. Incredable (Yellow) (this corn is so sweet, it could put a diabetic in a coma)

Funny thing is.... we give it all away, LOL!!!

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    When i was in college i worked in the summer on a grant project. Raised lots of the G90 and it is some fine corn. We found that 6.8 tons of chicken litter to the acre provided the best results. Also, apply nitrogen by side dressing when it has 9 leaves and again when it starts to tassle out. The Kandy korn is also a personal favorite, haven't tryed the silver queen yet.

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I put about 7 pick up loads of chicken litter, 30 bags of pelltised lime, It was started on 17-17-17 and It got big dose of ammonia sulfate.

I looks great and we had a good bit of rain last week, Its suppose to get super hot (90's) and dry this week.

I try to post some pictures.

I got to watch it close the dang bears and deer will ransack it as soon as its ready!:eek:oooh:

But the color of the corn is real dark green, and with all the lime It should be real sweet!

But I give most of it away!:smile2:

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    How long from the time the tassles go brown till you pick it? My mystery corn tassles are all browned up but the kernels are still plumping up. Its a white corn.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    everything tastes better with bacon. thats the only way ill hound a big salad is if its smothered in bacon bits.:wink:

[youtubevid]qM2cVaTT1Jk[/youtubevid]

[youtubevid]RV-p51fvYLc[/youtubevid]

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    never would have dreamed this. but sure as hell gonna try it.

some recipies i found on the www.

Gently pull back the husk exposing the corn. Do not remove the husk. Remove the corn silk and use a brush to make sure all the silk is removed. Soak the corn with the silks removed in water for 30 minutes. This will prevent the husks from charring.
    Preheat a grill to medium heat.

Remove from the water and pat dry. Take a strip of bacon and wrap it around the corn. Fold the corn leaves back over, covering the bacon and corn. Tie the leaves with butcher string and repeat the process for each ear of corn. Place the ears of corn on the hot grill and cook, turning occasionally until bacon is cooked and corn is tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

a video of the process.

http://www.smithfield.com/recipes/recipe/bacon-wrapped-grilled-corn-on-the-cob

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Scott, I would wait untill its brown yank a ear and open the husk. Taste it, if its too small you may let it stay a few days up to a week. But the longer It stays you run the chance of it ruining or becoming over ripe.

Then its deer and bear food.

If your corn has been given full water and fertilizer, then it maybe as big as it gets. Some rain and a few days would help it.

The best way is to try some ears, cook em and if you need to wait, come back in a few days and try it again.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've never understood the fascination with 'Silver Queen'. Granted, it IS GREAT tasting corn, but the kernels are so small, at least that's what I have aways observed here in the south east. I like that variety with the white and yellow kernels. Speaking of corn, we had friends here from Oregon and they were helping us at a produce stand. My friend Sue was shucking corn. I kept noticing that she was throwing about 80% of it in the trash can. Finally I said, what are you doing? She said the ears had a worm on the end! LOL. Most ALL corn here in SC has a worm on the end. We just snip the end off and keep on truckin'. Apparently Oregon corn has NO worms. The best corn I have eaten was in Oregon, and it was the white and yellow kernel variety. The ears in Oregon are HUGE compared to ours. (and... No worm) :)
    Bill in SC

15. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Its finally ready, THE SILVER QUEEN IS IN. YEA!:smile2: