Silver Carp and The Rivers

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Titghtline, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Titghtline

Titghtline New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just wondering how far up North you guys are seeing these jumping fish. I was down by the White River in Patoka a couple weeks ago and talked to an old man who runs trotlines. He says they are getting thick. We normally get them jumping around the sandbars on the Wabash near Mt.Carmel but had not heard of any in the White until recently. Its funny how you never heard anything about them until about 5 years ago. Sounds like they are starting to take over. Me and a buddy shot 3 of them that were all around 20 pounds with our bows in a oxbow off the Wabash in Griffin. Gonna try and eradicate some more when I get back from Vacation.

2. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was at a tourny on the wabash in covington and had two of them jump in the boat and one hit me right in the stomache. then the next weekend had another tourny on the wabash in lafayette and seen a few jump and had one get snaged up on one of my poles.

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    they are asian carp and a nuisance fish. they are steadily flowing thru the wabash at covington and laffy ramps. we need to catch teh ones we can a eradicate them.

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I took my girlfriend fishing recently and she laid into a 20 pounder, she was impressed with her catch and was dissapointed I threw up on the bank to die until I informed her that it was illegal to throw them back. We need to come up with an efficient way of catching them so we can start thinning out their numbers.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    last year, i caught one about 8#s in the tippy river below oakdale dam. dern thing hit a spitin image(top water plug). i never seen them jumpin yet though.

6. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We ought to start paying commercial fisherman to catch them. Then they can leave the catfish in the Ohio river alone.

7. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I live on the Tippecanoe river, and they are all the way up to the Oakdale dam pretty heavy. While gigging on the river this winter we stuck two of them, one twenty seven pounds the other sixteen. We did see alot more of them though and some of them are giants. I did read an article though saying that they are great table fair, comparable to salmon. The ones we gigged really have the same skin as a chinook, so maybe they are good. I am not against trying anything. So get your bows out, shoot as many as you can, and fry some up, you might be surprised. The more we kill the better off we are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    i hope to hell that we can get rid of them, but i think we are doomed. another zebra muscle type of thing. commercial catfish farms, incoming vessels from across the big pond, and carless people are to blame. i think they (all the people responsible)should get their eaders on and get rid of all THEY can. its not out fault, but its gonna be our problem

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've yet to see one anywhere that I fish, but I don't know if they can make it up over the dams on the White River? If I start to run into them though, rest assured that they will not return to the water in my care.

10. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    you know I have "heard" of devices that electro shock fish when placed in the water.:roll_eyes: I have not done this before:embarassed: but think it would be a great way to get good number netted and removed. Just a thought, I also "heard" that they can be purchased on ebay.

11. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've watched on tv sometime ago they are testing grinding them up and using them for food for aquariums, like Seaworld. So they are trying to find a market for them. I had one around 12 lbs hit me in the ribs down by terre haute a couple a weeks ago. scared the hell outa me.:waaaht:

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Golly GetHooked, you hear alot of things! lol

13. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    i believe electro fishing is illegal here except for when the dnr go do there studdies

14. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    let me tall ya a little story about electrofishing. i was at the winona lake public access ramp 2 falls ago. the dnr was coming in from the lake. i was told from dnr officials that the "shockers" are supposed to use them to count the fish, measure sizze and weight, and RETURN them back to the water. in this instance, they "shockerz" had children with them. i tried talking to the guys but they were very sensitive about me getting close to their boats. i understood why after i heard the massive thuds of big fish flopping around in there. from what i seen they had big largemouths, walleyes, and a few cats. they tore the hell outta there too after i was persistant on talking to them. they wanted ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to do with me. i believe without a doubt in my mind that they were everstepping their bounds and keeping the fish for their own PERSONAL pleasure. i would be happy to testify under oath to that too. thats whay i called and got the info from the officials. i was told they were gonna look into it, but i never heard anything.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    and im sure you never will. lol there would be no reason for big fish laying in the bottom of that boat. im sure children wouldnt be allowed in an official state water craft, for insurance reasons. yet another good excuse to carry a camera eh.

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    They are taking over around the evansville area really bad in Hoveys lake. My motor for some reason drives them wild weve got hit in the head, the chest, and I dont know whats coming hopefully they dont knock me out of the boat. The motor almost got a dent in it from how hard this trash carp hit it. In Hoveys we can put the motor in neutral turn the gas all the way up and watch about 20 of them jump out of the water by the spillway.

17. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Yeah it is really getting scarey. I haven't had one jump in my boat yet, but my 7 and 8 year old girls love to fish with me and it would kill me to have one of them hurt by one of these fish. I run a 14ft flatbottom with a 20 hp Merc. and they sit on the bench in front of me. I just don't want them to become afraid to go out in the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The DNR does have to keep some fish. They must study some and see things like food habits, growth rates, toxins in the fish/meat, etc. They also get alot of the fish for their stocking programs from eggs from wild fish (all walleye the DNR releases comes from eggs and sperm caught from wild walleye on Brookville).

Now I am not saying that these guys were any part of the DNR, as I bet they were poachers, but the DNR does do more with the fish they catch than count them and let them go. But their means is all for conservation and protecting our fish species.

19. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Me and a buddy went fishing last night and watched three jump into a guys john boat. Several others barely missed getting in. It's a little ridiculous how thick they are. The same buddy I was fishing with shot a few a couple days ago with his bow.