Silstar Catfish Master

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catchaser1, Dec 1, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    anybody use these...........Silstar Catfish Master, they make them in white and black, 7'?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Think Silstar and Pinnacle are basically the same outfit. They may be good, but I'd rather stick with Shakespeare or another rod maker I'm familiar with.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The Silstar catfish master is the same rod as the white Uglystick catfish rod. Same warrenty and all, lay the two side by side and the only difference is the wrapping in front of the handle. I figure the same company in China makes them both. I have landed several Flatheads in the 40-50lb range with the Silstar rods and feel they could handle bigger ones.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Guess I've know too many who've had problems with Silstar and Pinnacle products, but if the rod is the same as the Ugly Stick, it'll do fine.

5. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    I have four of them and have no problems with them, for around 17-20 dollars you cant beat them. I just dont hear of many people using them

6. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have 5 of them. This is the only rod I am now using to fish with. They really are a great rod and you cannot beat the price $20. They are limber enough for drifting and have plenty of backbone to fight a fish. Biggest fish I have caught is 40lbs with these rods. If you break one you are only out $20. I love mine.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My fifteen footer is a Silstar. I've had no problems yet. I think rod reliability is directly related to how you take care of them and how you fish with them.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got one of those and it has held up really well since I bought it this past spring. I like it for drifting, and I have 2 more coming this week. For $20 bucks each, they're hard to beat. They also have one in a striper version, but it's just a little too soft to suit me for catfish.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Where do they sell these Silstar Rods?

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Charles, I'm not certain who to go to. I got mine from a local tackle shop. They are by the same company as pinnacle. The catfish master is the only one of their rods that I have any experience with. I haven't caught a really large fish on it yet, but I have caught 25# without a problem, and I hung the bottom while tight-line drifting, bent the rod completely up under the boat, almost a 180 degree bend, and it held up just fine. I'm supposed to pick up a couple more from the tackle shop today or tomorrow.
    Do a web search, or try the silstar.com thing. :smile2:

11. catfish101

catfish101 New Member

State:
    nc
    both are crap they are no ugly stick they have bad reel seats better use a reel with a harness a 7000 or penn spining rods may be ok but i have 1 of
    each casting both are bad a fiend sold about 30 or more of them everybody has same problem ( new shipment from china might be ok) but being burnt 2 times is enough for me

12. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use the silstar catfishmaster rods. I like these rods a lot better than the uglystiks. Shakespeare tackle is cheap made and overpriced. I started off using shakespeare and was very unsatisfied. Silstar is the best rod thatI have found.

13. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    thanks for all the input, I agree with all of you who said they were good rods, cause they are, but saying that, the reel seat is a little loose still after tighting for some reason, but over all you cant beat the price, have caught a 35 lb flathead and numerous in the 10 to 20 lb range. I have also had one hung while drifting and bent over like blackwaterkatz said and it held up fine.

14. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was fishing at a lake and saw one of these snap and came flying back and smack a guy right in between the eyes. Had a pretty bad bloody nose. I wouldnt use them.

15. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I had to put paper under the reel seat to keep it secure so it would not move. I have 5500c on the rods.

16. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have 6500s & quatum blue runner reels on my catmasters. I have not had no problem yet with the reels being loose. The 5500s & 6000s are to small they fit bass fishing better.

17. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Any kind of rod will break if if not used correctly they are only rated for thirty pound test line

18. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    My thoughts exactly, he was probably hung up or something

19. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    havent used these rods but let us know how u like them.

20. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    just in case any one wants to know these rods are made by penn. If you look up www.silstar.com, youll see