Silly Question: Gloves? What king do you use for catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Old Bill, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    A week or so ago there was a thread about using gaff hooks. Several guys stated they just used their bare hands, or used gloves, to pull large catfish into the boat.
    Since my hands are very soft and tender :wink: and I've never cared for pain of any kind....I was wondering what kind of gloves work best? Are we talking about cotton work gloves, leather gloves? oven heat gloves? Or what?

Based upon my past fishing record I really don't think I'll need anything other than a minnow net to land my catfish...but, a guy's gotta be ready should his dream cat come calling!:smile2:

Remember....I'm wanting information about gloves...and not about gaffs!!:tounge_out:

Bill

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Like you I've never caught the big one yet but I do use a reg pair of Jersey Glove to hold the fish. Thats to get a better grip,not as slippery. I'm sure you'll get lots of different answer to your question.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    well, to gaff a fish you simply...Oh wait, you said this was about gloves.

You could use just about any gloves, but there are some that say mechanix or something like that on them that help grip them cats pretty good.

4. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I use mechanics gloves while fishing. They are about $6 at Harbor Freight.

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    flatheads are easy to pull in with your hand they have large mouth and dont bite down as hard as a blue so anykind of glove would work for flatheads. now as far as big bluecats 50 lbs plus i would use a net .blues can bite really hard and like to spin and have a smaller mouth most times i can only get 1 hand in there mouth so if a big one spins and rolls on ya could really tork your wrist and arm. i would use a lip gripper or net on a big blue over 50 lbs

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I use the mechanic type gloves, blue sticky material on the palm side and tight fitting cloth material on the back of them. I get them free from a friend that comes down every year so the price is right. I like them because they fit tight and have a very good grip.

Im with Scotty, BIG blues are best with a net or lip gripper.

7. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Have to agree with Troy the cotton cloth gloves with the rubber on them are great. Make sure they are not loose fitting gives a good grip.
    You can find them at Wal-mart, Lowes, Homedepot just about anywhere.

8. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I bank fish with a 13 foot rod and a spinner reel with braided line. I wear baseball batting gloves. They're thin leather and tight fitting, and really help protect your fingertips while casting. They're also thick enough for reaching into the mouth of a large blue if you have to. You can get a pair for about $10.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use mechanic type gloves

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I keep a metal link(?) glove on the Catoon, the kind they use for cleaning fish, it gives a pretty fair grip and does offer some protection.

11. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Glad to see the MACHO guys haven't found this thread yet. You know the ones I mean. "I don't bother with gloves, I'm tough, I just ram my hand down that sharks mouth and yank his butt out of the water" !!! It's obvious that they have never caught a fish that has TEETH !!! :wink: