Silly catfish articles - what ones have you read

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Shawn, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What's the silliest thing you've ever read about catfishing...

I'm sure he's a good guy, but Brook Martin (great fisherman name) wrote a Catfish In-Sider about rod and reel fishing using 1-3 lb Carp for bait, and tying bimini-twist leaders...

Oh, right. We've all done that! :p

Shawn

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    1-3lb carp....know where i can get some?:D

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Probably the silliest thing that I have ever heard of happening while catfishing happened to me. I was down on the Kansas River this last october fishing for blue cats with a friend of mine and his dad (now you have to remember I am 15.) So I decide that our best bet is going to be fresh shad, so I take the cast net (I soon realized I had no idea how to throw it) and went up around a patch of trees, down the bank, onto a little dirt outcropping into the river. The mud on this thing started something like 7 feet before the water, but I needed to get closer because I knew I couldnt throw the net that far. So I take a step into the mud, sunk a little, took another, sunk a little more, and then took the third step...WHAM! Thigh deep in cold goopey mud with my cell phone in my knee pocket. So, the temperature is somewhere around 50 degrees, I am stuck in mud, and now I realize that there is a boat blocking my view of my friends. I start yelling for help, but they cant hear me. So I sat there for 15 minutes before I finally managed to drag myself out. LOL. It was a funny experience, but if I can avoid it, I wont do it again.

4. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    another thing from a Catfish Insider piece talked about using used spark plugs as sinkers held on by split shot. While I'm sure you could do this, why not just use a bank or other type of lead sinker? Lead has much greater weight for the same size, so it would hold better in current.

Shawn

5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

You are talking about guys from Minnesota that started this Magazine, they fish for Walleye. Northern, and Muskie, and ICE fish for pan fish. They know nothing of cats.

Ray

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One of those guys from infishermen Otis "toad" Smith had heart surgery and he actually used a piece of his own heart for bait..Otis died several years ago, but was an old time catter.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Flathunter that has to one of the most insane things I have ever heard about catfishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That is pretty wild man! I think I have heard of that Otis guy.

9. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Easy Pal,
    The orginal people that started the In fisherman magazine AL and Ron Lindner were smart and sold the magazine off and made a fortune. They have since started another T.V.show (Anglers Edge) and are doing very well with it, and they do have a fair number of segments on cat fishing.
    As for current staffing of IN-fisherman. Though in my personal opinion not as well done as when the Lindners were doing is still a reputiable magazine.

As far as the fish in our state. You are right we have Walley, Northern and some muskie (not as many as WI). We even have large quantities of Largemouth, Smallmouth, sunfish and crappie. We have trout and salmon to boot. We do Ice fish for panfish, but we also Ice fish for Cats, walley, pike and trout.
    Our state has one of the most comprehensive programs for all around fish conservation. Including Cats. (limit 5, 1 fish over 24inches, 2 flats in Limit).
    Catfish are not the high profile species in the spotlight (compared to Bass or Walley)in this state or many others in the nation.
    But I will tell you, that to say "We know nothing of Cats" is a pretty shallow comment, that I'm guessing that you really didnt put much thought into trying to make your post qouta for the day.
    We may not have as many Catfisherman as you do in your state, thankfully. More fish for the rest of us that are interested in pursuing CATs. I've spent my previous 30+ fishing for species listed above, and as an experienced angler I put catfish right up with the others.
    P.S. If your quote was meant in jest. Please take this in jest also.
    thanks
    Larry

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Otis is on one of the infishermen catfish videos, I think it's called classic catfish..He was pals with Doug Stange.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres the story

The late Otis "Toad" Smith from Sibley, Iowa, probably was one of the few men who ever caught a catfish with his own heart. After a very serious heart operation where a portion of Smith's heart was cut away, Smith went fishing for catfish, one of his favorite pastimes. Smith had told the doctors before the operation that he wanted to keep whatever portion of his heart they cut out. He said his heart belonged to him.

Smith kept the part of his heart in a glass jar filled with formaldehyde. One day after he came home from the hospital, he looked at the piece of his heart in that jar and decided his heart should perform some useful function. He poured the formaldehyde out and replaced the liquid with Fish Formula's Catfish Scent. The first time he went fishing, he took a piece of his old heart from the jar, baited it on a hook and cast it out into the river. In just a few minutes, he caught an 8-pound catfish.

12. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Ok, I was really tired when I wrote that. My real problem is with the founders of that Magazine, not every individual from MN. I do realize that some of the articles are informitive, and yet some seem repititive. As for those from MN not understanding cats, I again was not thinking straight. I unfortunetly generalized when I should have been more specific.

My appoligies.

If Paul sold this site because someone offered him a ton of money I would feel the same way. If you love the sport, no amount of money sould ever replace that love.

Ray

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We used sparkplugs,nuts,bolts and rocks.for weights on trot line,limb line and pole & line fishing,because.That was all we had,because.We could not afford lead,or had no wayto go buy lead.Because,some people are cheap.You do not need weights for shallow limb lines in still water.peewee-williams.