Silhouettes or hard bodies?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by GrainDrain, Feb 10, 2006.

1. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I usually hunt late season canadians, what is the best way to go? Just a few good hard bodies or lots of silhouettes?

2. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    You want to use full bodies down south because the geese are much smarter by the time they get down here. You want as much realism as you can. If you have a few good looking decs it's better than stuff that they have already seen.

3. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I like to mix some silos in with my full bodies and shells because from a birds eye view the silos look like they are moving with just a slight breeze.No doubt Big Foots or something of that nature are great but adding some silos or even some wind socks can add that needed movement in the spread.

4. Icemanxxxv

Icemanxxxv New Member

State:
    Smithville Missouri
    I thought we were talking about something completely different. LMAO

5. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use a combo of about 80 home made wooden silos with 4 doz shells and 3 full bodies and have no problem shooting geese here in N.E Kansas. I did go to cabela's with the intent to buy some more shells but FORTUNATLY they were all out. Looked at the wing waver motion decoy and thought what the heck, ya they're exspensive ($70) but I figured if I didn't like it I could alway take it back! BEST investment I have ever made!! The geese see the wings flappin' and if they don't commint and come in they'll come in close enough to take a good look to shoot some birds!! I do concrete work and I'm normally laid off from mid Now - mid March. I have a 15 acre grain field behind my house and my setup is a meir 200yds from my back door. I'm located 2 miles off the Ks. river and there is a power plant about 1 mile down river with a hot water discharge that keeps that part of the river open all winter. I don't have much $ but I wouldn't want things any other way!! I'm very fortunate!!

6. oamenibogati

oamenibogati New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use nothing but full bodies, they are more expensive but they pay for themselves in geese. I usually use about 4-5 dozen decoys in my spreads. Some of the guides that work for me use stuffed decoys, but I think that they are too much of a hassle. That is the smallest Canada goose i have ever seen LOL. Is it real? I hope this helps you shoot something a little bigger. LOL. LOL.

P.S N2Ducks, that is a good looking wood duck where in Texas do you hunt? East Texas?

7. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ya i will admit that it is a small goose but that was my first one. I have shot plenty more after that one but the first goose is always the best in my mind.

Hey give me and N2Duck a pm about hunting one of these days, we would love to go.

8. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey graindrain i don't know you kid. oamenibogati how many stuffers do your guys use and where do they keep them all.

9. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ya i would be afraid to admit that i knew me too if I called that a big goose. Say you dont know me again and see if you ever go hunting with me again or if you ever get your share of goose jerky.

Oh ya dont talk to N2Ducks about wood ducks he wont ever take you, i have tried and tried to get him to take me. Shoot i even took him on a guided goose hunt and all he gave me in return was crap about not knowing me.

10. oamenibogati

oamenibogati New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOL!! Nice picture. LMAO! I wouldn't admit knowing you either. I don't think that little goose is going to make much jerky. Don't worry N2Ducks, if he won't take you goose hunting I will. Some of my guys use 6 dozen stuffed decoys, and they keep them in a big barn.

11. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like to go with the fullbodies, BigFoot I think is the best and most durable fullbody on the market. Have hunted over BFs, Hardcores, Averys, Final approach, dave smith, etc. I just think that the durability of the bigfoot completely outlast the others, they are way to much maintenance for a large spread. I have had bigfoots fly outta the back of the truck get thrown around etc and they still hold up and look like new. Try that for the others because I know they dont hold up. I do like to mix in some silos on cloudy days just because they dont glare and I think they look really good with a heavy dew or a little rain as well. Just my two cents.

12. DuckHunterChuck

DuckHunterChuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    full body all the way. that and magnums. they are both great. they help alot. the silhouettes are ok early season, but later it helps to be as realistic as possible.

13. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I Got A Variety Of Decoys But We Are Moving Towards All Full Bodies Each Year. The Cost Is High But If You Buy A Few Hear And Their It Starts To Add Up. I Agree That The Big Feet Are The Best.

14. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    They guys I go with(N2Ducks and his brothers) have a few full bodies, but i was wanting to get a lot for me too. We have saved a few of the ones we shot this year to makes stuffers, but i was wanting to get a lot a decoys so i thought silhouettes, but the way it sounds by the time they get down to texas they have seen it all. I guess full bodies is the way i am going to go. Thanks everyone.

15. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    we use 350 homemade silo's around 60 shells and 10 doz greenhead gear full bodies with flocked heads.