Signs of Spring are in the air!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yesterday morning I was awakened by what I thought was my young neighbor cranking his 4 wheeler. I didn't see him but he has a shed he keeps it in and I thought he was in it, trying to start the 4 wheeler. I went on preparing for work and didn't think anymore about it, until I went into another bedroom and heard it again. I went to look out the window again to see if I could see my neighbor and realized it was coming from the metal pipe from the chimney. I thought there was a squirrel in the chimney. It scared my chihuahua to death and he started yapping. When he calmed down, I heard the shrill of a woodpecker, so I went outside and looked up at the chimney which has a metal cover on it and there sat a wood hen or some people call them wood cocks. Anyway, it was a huge woodland woodpecker and he was drilling the tin on my chimney top. LOL. I noticed that there were mockingbirds chasing one another and came to the conclusion it must be mating season for the birds. The woodpecker flew off for a few minutes then returned to start again as I was leaving the driveway.

I was curious as to whether he would return this morning. I warned my son about it and sure enough he returned around 8 this morning! When I went out the door, I saw my first robin of spring in my front tree. Looking left there went the woodpecker with a mate. I guess she answered his call this morning and they were off for their adventures of the day.

Last Friday I noticed the yellow crocuses were blooming in the back yard under a giant oak tree. By Sat. morning they were covered in snow. The purple crocuses are popping up out front along with the hyacinths and daffodils.

The yellow male finches should start turning yellow again any day now. The days are starting to get longer. Welcome Spring!

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I didn't mention the main reason spring is in the air after saying all of that. LOL.

I saw my first ROBINS this morning. That's a sure sign. Of course we still have been known to have snow in May here.

Anyone else seen a robin yet?

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    No Robins yet, but the almond tree in my back yard is blooming! This weekend should be awesome! Should be close to 70 degrees and I plan on getting some catfishing in with one of my B.O.C. brothers!

Attached Files:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I saw my first Robin yesterday!

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture! Good luck catfishing this weekend, Phillip!

Jack, can you believe some people eat Robins? I was shocked to learn that from Swampy a few years back.

Y'all take care and enjoy! Beautiful here today and high about 60 but still chance of snow for the next 4 days here. LOL

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    yep! when i was a kid n got my first benjamin pellet gun, my mom told me that whatever i shot i had to bring home and eat. actually robins taste pretty good; not much different than dove.
    I sure miss that benjamin .22 cal pellet gun. lol used ta pump it up 45 times and kill rabbits and dillers. Yup ate them too.

7. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Well, I know what you mean on the wood pecker. There is one that starts drilling the flashing on my chimney every spring. He was out this week again. His favorite time is 7:00 am on saturday mornings.

We had a flock of robins eating the berries from the trees at work.

8. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for reminding me that spring is about ready to come upon us,Cheyrl.It's 60+ degrees here in Kansas City today,way above normal.Kinda made me forget my problems and step outside to see the beauty of the new season approching.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    It has been beautiful here this weekend. Lots of sunshine and no snow! It was warmer yesterday. The winds have moved in so there is some sort of precipatation on the way in the next few days. The birds are everywhere and full of song. They too are looking for spring. Spring fever has set in but the official start is still a few weeks away.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I hate to be different and I know Robins and all that other stuff are harbringers of Spring BUT to me the true arrival of spring is heralded by women wearing dresses again!!!;) :cool: :) I guess I'm just old fashioned and not that women dont look nice in jeans,pants etc but when they break out those colorful sundresses etc then I know winter is over.When I lived in Colo everyone was bundled up in Goose down,Gortex,Fleece etc for months then all of a sudden the streets of Denver burst out in all kinds of colorful dresses,blouses etc.Loved it.You Robin fans have at it but I know what I like!!!!!!:cool: :)