Sighting in my 30/30

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by tncatfishing, Jan 6, 2006.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well I finaly sighted in my marlin 30/30 lever action rifle over the holliday season. First from about 25 yards, then 50, 75 and at 100yards hit the target dead center, must of been luck. I shot off 22 rounds, some just to get use to the gun, it was alittle louder than I thought it was gonna be but no where as loud as my cousins sks. After I got done target praticing I packed up hopped on the 4 wheeler to retrieve my target, look to my right and see 6 doe watching me. After all that racket you would think they wouldn't stick around but they did. Did watch them through my scope, one was of pretty good size and was going to shoot but the direction was towards the other field which has cattle, nothing woulda happened but did not want to chance it. Going to try again this weekend. By the way I have a savage 270 bolt action with bushnell scope coming, what do yall think of this gun.

2. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    270 is a good all around calibur I have seen them used on everything form deer to moose, even brown bear if your shot is accurate.

3. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    IMO id replace the bushnell with better optics. while bushnell is adequate there are others better. the 270, well, lets just say i have this funny feelin youll be putting the 30-30 up in the gun cabinet and wont be using it again. in no size shape form or fashion is a 30-30 better than the 270.

sell the 30-30, sell the bushnell scope, buy better optics for the 270.

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I like the 30/30 cause it is a lever action gun, and fun to shoot. The bushnell scope is not a cheap one, it is a very large diameter scope, I by no means am a scope expert, but the bushnell looks like it will get the job done. My next gun after I get the 270 will either be a 17 magnum rifle or a 12 gauge.

5. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Your story is somewhat familiar.

I remember when I got my first .30-.30 (20+ years ago). My grandfather and I went out to sight it in down by the river. After we got through, we turned around and there were 2 does watching us on the road leading in. Guess they were curious.

Scott

6. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    yes of course leverguns are fun to shoot, i have one myself in .444 however since you mentioned hunting deer with it that is the context in which my reply was to be taken. in hunting whitetails there is no contest between the two rifles. in every possible dimension the 270 is the better choice. pull up the ballistics tables and compare the two cartridges. the 30-30 is a fine gun and lots of deer killed with it for sure but its a dinosaur whose time has past. there are a vast number of choices available for deer that outperform that old gun hands down. im not saying your gun isnt any good, i am saying other guns are better. once you get your 270 and practice a bit with it im sure youll understand. if for no other reason you triple your killing range over the 30-30. sight the 270 in at 150 yards and from point blank out to 300 yards a heart shot will hit true every time.

bushnell... for the money its an okay scope. a large bell on a scope is not an indicator of quality and in a bushnell it doesnt mean it gathers more light either. ive seen crap at gun shows for fifty bucks that had 53mm bells on them. ive had three bushnells over the years and all eventually had the same problem. when you vary the power of the scope your zero will change. well, one of the defining characteristics of a "good" scope is that this will NOT happen even after years of use. im not saying every bushnell will do this but im batting three for three and thats enough. money wise the lower end leupolds are about the same as the higher end bushnells and IMO a far better deal for the same money.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well like I said I am no scope expert by a long shot, no pun intended :D . The 30/30 has a simmons scope on it people tell me it is an ok scope. Seems to work pretty well , but I will replace in the futue with one that has better adjustments on it. I have been told that a 30/30 is good out to 150 yards, is this true? I know from talking to people that a 270 will shoot alot further than a 30/30, but would a 270 or 30/30 have more of an impact on a deer from 150yards, don't know if I worded that correctly. I have shot alot of different guns, just haven't owned many, usualy would shoot cousins guns out at a target shoot.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I have a feeling youll like the added range of the 270 but I wouldnt toss the 30/30 yet. Should be a great woods gun where your shots are inside 100 yards. As for the scope Ive got a Bushnell 4x12 40mm scope on my 30-06, has kept zero for over 4 years. Now my buddies have Leopold and Nikon. Both have been back to the factory at least 3 times each. I think after shipping it cost them another 50$. They both ended up selling their scopes.
    Ive had bad luck with the smaller bushnell scopes that come in packages with a rifle, but their bigger scopes have been great so far. Something thats worked for me is, once you get your scope and gun shooting good, leave it alone.

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    scopes? What ever happend to OPEN SIGHTS?

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Mark, I have a range right behind the house. If you want you can come over sometime and we'll get em all done. I have a marlin 336C and a .270 as well. Gonna be zeroing my friend Bob's new muzzleloader sometime in the next few weeks. You're welcome to join us. LOL

11. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Tony, why would you want to shoot with open sights? LOL Scopes are just a bit more accurate if they are zeroed properly and if you're hunting you're a bit more assured of a clean kill, which is important to me. I will say though that open sight shooting is fun. Still gotta zero though. Even my .22 has a 3X9X40 scope on it. LOL Poor squirrels!!LOL

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Actually on a woods gun, why a scope but a red dot sight.
    Don't have to worry about parralex.
    Don't have to worry about finding the deer in the scope.
    Don't have to worry about lineing up front and back sights.

Will

13. Whistler

State:
    TN
    One word........dollars. LOL

14. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=R30301*R270W4

here is a link to remingtons ballistics tables in which i compared the 150 grain core lokt bullets in both the 30-30 and 270. i used the same weights for the test but hunt with the 130 grain 270. run those numbers yourself for an even dramatic difference. as you can clearly see the 270 is drastically better all the way down the line. in "gun nut" speak we say "the numbers are better" meaning the figures from ballistics tables.

mr. Tdawg sir,,, you have a good point and my 444 has opens on it however the reason for scopes on these short range rifles is it provides five to ten minutes of shooting time at dawn and dusk. it can be too dark to draw a bead but light enough to responsibly harvest a deer no matter how much day glo paint is on your sights.

150 yards is arguably too far for a 30-30. my limit with one is 100 yards. yes you can kill at that range but its just in my opinion not ethically responsible.

300 yards with a 270 is no problem provided your shooting skills are sharp. with the lighter factory loads even 350 is certainly possible but be realistic in your own evaluation of skill in taking long shots. practice...practice...practice at those ranges long before deer season starts. what i do is to set up targets in the summertime off of my deer stands in my kill zones and practice that way, not just from a bench at the range. i normally discourage long distance shots but believe i put in the practice time and have the skill to humanely harvest the deer.

your question about take down power comparing the two is answered by the ballistics tables i provided the link for.

hope this helps and good luck with the new rifle.

15. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    hey will?

you mentioned finding the deer in the scope...

heres a tip my daddy taught me as a kid to fix this problem and it works.

of course ya have to start out with the scope properly mounted to you on your rifle.

pull the bolt out or remove magazine, just be positive the thing cant fire.

put something tiny on top of your television. like a marble. while watching tv over and over again raise up on the marble. here's the thing. look at the marble and simply raise up the rifle keeping both eyes open. this is a motor skill and takes repetitive practice. you will feel silly doing this but it works.

you can even do this in the deer stand at stuff off in the distance.

what eventually happens is your body re-learns how to raise up the rifle. you never raise and find target, you find target then raise up and by doing this you never lose sight of the deer. in other words... you put the scope to your eye and not your eye to the scope.

where this technique will really pay off is on a moving target.

16. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Geez Chad, you're really down on the 30-30 aren't you? I think everyone who is gonna hunt should have to start out with one. I hunted for many years with one. I'll tell you what, I could consistently bullseye a target at 150 measured yards with mine. That old fashioned rifle will teach anyone that has a sincere desire to be a skilled shooter how to shoot. It will teach you how to learn and use ballistics, trajectory, proper range finding skills and a whole bunch of other skills that I think should be mandatory for big game hunting. It is no match for a .270 or any other modern cartridge that's true. But in it's own right it's a great firearm for hunting deer. In my opinion if you take a 300 yard shot at a deer, you're not really being ethical anyway. At 300 yards even if you're the best there is you're still taking an unnecessary chance at wounding an animal. I'm not saying you can't do it. Not at all. I used to practice with a 30-06 at 250 yards all the time on the personal weapon range at Fort Carson. You do it enough and you get pretty good at it. But at those ranges it doesn't take much of a mistake to ruin a shot. The 30-30 is a great rifle for deer hunting in my opinon, especially around here in fairly thick forests like we have. I hunt with a Ruger M77 .270 myself, so I'm not putting that one down at all. But to say the 30-30 isn't an ethical hunting weapon isn't being real fair to a gun that's been around for a very long time and has probably killed more deer than any other caliber. In the right hands it's as accurate within it's ranges as any other rifle out there. This is just my opinion, but there's still enough of them in use today that I'm most likely not the only one that thinks this way.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive got a red dot scope and so far I dont like em. Always having to change batteries and having extra on hand while hunting is too much to worry about. I used to hunt open sights but the scope is much better for me. Extra shooting time as well as seeing just how big or small that deer is. Also with a good scope you can check out your targets without a spotting scope or running to check your target.

18. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    bryan, youre absolutely right on 90% of that and the remaining ten percent is a difference of opinion only. the old 30-30 is an excellent starter gun for the reasons you listed for sure however.... to reply to the original posters questions i stand by my 100 yard comment. not knowing and understanding the numbers of this cartridge and with only basically one box shot thru it i do not see anything over 100 yards a good shot choice. practice and learn then yes the 150 yarder is fine but anything over that no way. too much energy is lost and the trajectory is that of an artillery shell. bryan youre right i dont like the 30-30 is why i now have a 444 instead. if hunting a stand with shots over 100 yards why take the 30-30 anyway? ive had to help track others deer too many times shot too far with a 30-30. in practiced hands IMO 150 yards is the max. handloads notwithstanding of course but thats a whole nother thread.

the longer shots with modern calibers?
    im 35 years old, been hunting since i was old enough to carry a gun and in all that time ive shot one deer i couldnt find. (80 yards with a slug) out of a lifetime of 90 to 100 deer id say thats pretty good. i shoot year round, practice from my stands as well as the range and used to shoot some benchrest competition. im fully aware that many are not capable of the accuracy that some us are and whenever i post about long shots i try to always mention how much i practice and how important it is to burn powder on a consistent basis. i do not take long distance offhand shots and most of my stands are permanent boxes with benchrests built into them. bear in mind too that feeders and corn is legal here in louisiana so most shots are at deer standing still eating while broadside to me.

that all being said,
    bryan i do realize something while ive been typing this and that is that while myself and others here do have the skill, ability, and conditions to routinely make shots in the 300 range there are others that lack such experience and seeing it discussed so commonly may encourage those that shouldnt to do so.
    ill attempt to discourage such practice unless the thread specifically involves it. (see my 30-378 wby mag thread under guns)

truce?
    hahahahahha

19. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Yep, that's a good post I think we said just about the same thing, just in different ways. LOL Doesn't matter what caliber you use, you have to know how it works to be safe and effective with it.

20. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    For all of you getting rid of your ancient,old fashion 30-30's,I will pay shipping if you want me to "dispose" them for you.:)