sighting in iron sights--help

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by lissaannjon, Nov 27, 2008.

1. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    ok fellas, this should be a no brainer but i overthought the question and now i have myself stumped:confused2:. i was sighting in my muzzleloader today and it is shooting LOW at my desired distance. my rear sight is the one that moves to adjust the height. my question is with it shooting low do i need to move the rear sight up or down to hit the center dot. thanks in advance for the help.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    You'll need to move the Rear site Up, to raise your point of impact.:big_smile:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Like Greg said: move the rear sight in the direction that you want the point of impact to move. Front sight would move opposite, of course. Good luck with your sighting in.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with the others, on your rear sight:

you go up to move the point of impact down
    You go down to move the point of impact up
    You go left to move the point of impact right
    You go right to move the point of impact left

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    This is all good info :wink: Rear sight needs to go up.

6. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    thanks fellas!! ive been sighting in to many bows lately and with them its the front "sight" that gets moved to "follow your last shot". thats what had me scratching my head. thanks again.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    How much powder are you using?You may need to adjust the ammount your using maybe a little less mybe a little more,also could be the type of bullet your using maybe your rifle just dont like that particular kind of bullet or grain bullet your using.If your barrel gets hot it will change the impact of the bullet making it hard to sight in or after about 3 shots if you dont run a dry patch down the barrel to get some of the fouling and powder out it dosent matter what you do it wont shoot straight.So alot of things affect accuracy you just have to experamint until you get the right set up.
    Anyway i just thought id throw that in there maybe help you out or someone else.Good luck to ya bro.
    james

8. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    thanks for the info brinley. actually im shooting a 100 grains with a barnes hollow point bullet. the gun groups them well at 100 with the scope. actually i can touch one hole to the next on paper. im just trying to get the iron sight sighted in for short shots, say 50 yrds and less. im using raised scope rings on the gun so that i can utilize both options depending on where im hunting. Im right on the mississippi river so some areas its up close and personal and the next area i go to i need to shoot 150 yds.

9. Tadpole

Tadpole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The easy way to remember about Iron sights is you always move the rear sight the direction you want the bullet to move on the paper. that is as simple as it can be explained.