Sighting in help!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by archer1914, Sep 8, 2007.

1. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i bought a cva optima. A guy i work with bouight the same one and sighted in his with no problem, but mine will not sight in passed 60 yards. I know the first problem was using the synthetic powder by pioneer it was very clean as they claimed but you have to way it instead of graining it out like pyrodex so i tried pyrodex and it is very very dirty in comparison but again sixty yards is the only way to get a good group and i dont know why. i am using a tasco 3x12x40 and power belt bullets with the power tips 45 cal 190 grain will the pyrodex pellets work that much better i had to quit for a while of playing with it in tring to sight it in costing more than i had to do it

any help would be great thanks

2. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    oh yea forgot i am using 100 grains of powder

3. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Is the scope new? Tasco is a fairly cheap brand and might be giving you the problems. I had a tasco scope do that to me one time and after changing it to a bushnell, the problem went away. One other thing I like to do when sighting in a black powder gun is to clean the barrel after every shot. Good luck.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    hi folks,
    It some times helps to take a small pocket knife and tap on the turrets after a adjustment to seat the movement. You may want to consider going to pellets 777 or pyrodex and a good bullet such as a hornady. Its also a good idea to tune it in on its highest mag setting. I hope this helps you and good luck.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As Corey said, it might be the scope. I've had some scopes brand new out of the box not hold a setting from one shot to the other. However, if it will group at 60 yards and not any farther, then it's a good chance it's something else. Have you tried different bullet weights and combinations? One of my muzzies will shoot great with several different bullets, but with just one bullet, it will keyhole (turn sideways) at around 70 yards. It shoots the 250 grain shockwave great, but the 200 grain shockwave, it keyholes.

The only problem with a new gun, is you'll have to try different bullets weights and styles along with different powders to find which combo it likes the best.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Dave when your at the range, be sure an clean between shots. 100 grains is a good charge, but like was said ya have ta find the sweet "shot", what your gun likes. I'd try a heavier bullet. I think the main thing is the ability for you to be consistant; then the gun will. But your shot is going to be from a clean gun, and you should replicate that, especially sighting in. Important to bore butter that unit too, as it has to season, like a cast iron skillet.
    Pyodex pellets, just handier for dropping a standard charge. But get a good measure and toss different charges, if ya bought loose powder already.
    I'd try 3 shot strings of a given charge, an log em in a notebook. Black powder is a whole different game. Take yer time & have fun stead of getting frustrated. Also helps ta have a spotter...watching you as much as the target. Smooth is fast, fast is smooth......

:wink:

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    check the scope mounts also, as they can cause your group to jump around if they're just a little bit loose.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here is a little trick I use!!! Sight in on target from a bench keep a firm grip on it and have a buddy tap on end of scope !! She better be same sight picture or ya got problems!! My wife and I both have CVA's and hers started acting up and it was the scope!!!

9. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thats the problem I had with my CVA. I was using a lead sled. The scope was not holding a zero. I put on a pine ridge scope and that solved the problem.

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi folks
    pine ridge makes a good scope for the money.:big_smile: