Sighting in a fishing bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Vulture, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Does anyone have the best way to site in a fishing bow? Should I have point of aim, point of contact? Or should I have point of aim and the point of contact 4 inches below? They say aim below the fish because water can throw you off. Any help would be nice.

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Most bowfisherman dont have any sites on their bows. What i do is just aim slightly lower than the fish, this will hopefully give me the trajectory that i want. I usually adjust my aim point while bowfishing to find just the right angle to aim.

Good luck

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Vulture, more than 99% of bowfisherman shoot instinctively at their targets. Having sights on a bow while bowfishing can be dangerous as well. Giving the bowfishing line an extra place to snag and possibly cause the arrow to return towards the shooter in a harmfull manner. Vern

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Vulture, take a 2L bottle and fill it with water, and toss it in water about 1-3' deep. Get back about 15-25' and just shoot at the bottle. It'll give some much needed practice with light refraction.
    Will

5. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wouldnt use sights. In my opinion its better to bowfish instinctively. once you get your aim down you'll hit em about every time

6. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I agree with the other posts, shoot instinctively...takes practice...fishing
    arrows are heavy and terribly balanced.

7. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello Vulture
    The replies you have received have been right on. Water is naturally denser than air so your arrow will rise when it hits the water and sort of act like a torpedo. Shoot a little low. The deeper the fish from the surface, the lower you will shoot. If you practice, you should learn quickly. You can practice all you want while looking for fish. I pic out cigerette butts, bubbles or anything that is willing to be a target. When you fill comfortable hitting your targets look for fish. Main thing is safety. If you are just starting out you might want lite line, say 40lb. so the arrow will break the line instead of coming back at you if you screw up. If you are using a reel like a zebco, I am always pushing my release button in case I forgot. You can push it in all you want. Only problem you will have is when you dont push it in.
    Have fun
    Danny J

8. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Almost forgot, and back your drag down.

9. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    These guys are right on the money.AIM LOW!! A good rule of thumb is to aim 6 to 8 inches below the fish for every foot of water.The best thing you can do is to just get out and shoot untill you are comfortable shooting at objects under water.I'm going to warm you that once you start bow fishing you wiil want to do it all the time.Good Luck and Have Fun!!