sight pin question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Feb 3, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    good lord here comes another question. until recently i have been putting fletchings on my arrows by hand. i know, caveman style. i could shoot a 3 inch group at 25 yards and i have killed deer, but i wanted to do it right with a jig. so i got one and redid my arrows. it has been so windy i couldn't try them out. today i went out and had to resight my bow. now i am hitting 1 inch low of my 20 yard pin at 10 yards. is this normal? could it maybe be that the fletchings are 'right' now? at 25 and 30 yards i am less than 4 inches below my 10 yard pin. i could understand it if i was shooting a fast bow, but my bow is a fossil and it's only set at 55 pounds. the reason i am asking is i don't want anything to mess up while i am hunting. if i blow a shot i want it to be my fault, not equipment failure, if that makes any kind of sense whatsoever.
    thanks!

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    There shouldn't be a big difference 10 & 20. I would suggest paper tuning it. Thats the best way i know of to see if your getting good arrow flight. If your not familiar with the process, holler at me. It's not that hard to do.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    many things can come into factor. as stated in the previous post, paper tuning will tell you if your arrow flight is in check. the perfect bullet-hole is what we strive for. is the arrows properly spined for the poundage of your draw weight? i hope you have a trustful pro shop in your area. they keep you on track and will have your bow set up as accurate as possible. as far as sight pins being off, that should'nt be an issue regardless if you use a fletching jig .

good luck!!
    good shooting!!:big_smile:

Mark

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Imagine the sight path and the arrow path. draw them out on a piece of paper if you have to. the sight path is above the actual flight path. so anything under 10 yards or so will shoot a little low. when released the arrow is under the sight path. it crosses it, and rises then it crosses it again at the yardage you have sighted. meaning if you have a deer right under you at 4 or 5 yards you need to shoot high or your may hit it low or shoot right under it. i practice shooting at all yardages, especially very close shots. i only use one sight pin also. i found over the years there's much less guesswork, math, and judgement errors. it's almost instinct with one pin...

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois