Sight in with one shot, if you do it perfect.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by peewee williams, Mar 20, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yes!One shot if you do it perfect,3 shots after you learn and are good.Mark a X centered on a sheet of paper.Put your cross hairs on the X and shoot.Do not move paper.Put + on bullet hole in paper if you need to see it.Keep scope on same power.Immobilize gun with scope centered on X at same exact firing position.Using scope adjustments,adjust scope cross hairs to bullet hole (+) WITHOUT MOVING THE GUN.If you have not moved gun at all during the scope adjustment,your rifle is now shooting to where the scope is pointing.Your rifle and scope should now have the same point of aim.Being we are not perfect and bullet drop and wind all interfere,it will change as you move it out to your preferred distance.If this does not work,something is wrong with your rig or ammo.All ammo must be the same to you zero.Remember,if your gun has moved the tiniest bit during adjustment,you will be off.Try it.It ain;t like the movies,but directors want to sell tickets.They hire advisers for publicity,not to listen to,or so I was once told by a adviser for a movie.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've also heard that you can sight in at 110 inches and it will be sighted at 100 yards too.

3. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Don;t know about that.I do know that if you adjust your scope to where your rifle is shooting,you are sighted in.Try it.It works.I love you Brothers and Sisters.Peewee.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    My grandfather told me the same thing 40 years ago. I'll have to try it next time now that I have access to my brothers rifle cradle rest thingamajiggy.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    That definately works Pewee, Thats how we have done it for years.You will need to have your gun in a shooting vise setting on a table to keep it from moving then fire the shot then realign the gun /cross hairs back to the first alignment position then you make your scope adjustments to the bullet hole. Saves a lot of ammo for the live targets:lol: .

6. 390fe

390fe New Member

State:
    Creston, Iowa,
    When hunting, I feel that shot placement is critical above all else. Nothing beats practice, get to know your gun at different ranges, practice, practice, practice.

Sighting in quick is ok, but don't stop there.

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great post Pee Wee, that would be a lot cheaper than a bore sighter an just as good. Once sighted in then you can burn some ammo and fine tune it.

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Your line of sight and bullet path will cross twice if your bullet travels far enough.This I have seen proved on the range.Bullet weight,speed and design,wind,sight hight,temperature,humidity,altitude and angle up or down are all claimed to affect this.I take their word and believe it,as I have no way to prove or disprove these things.It just makes sense to me,which does not mean that I or it is right.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    With the 30/06 if you sight in at 1 inch high at 25 yards it will be dead on at 100 yards. This does not work for all calibers but it will be close with the others...of course some shoot flat enough to be on at both then others there will be 3 inch differance between 25 & 100 yards.

Jesse