Sight fishing the Coachella canal...

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by gilmafam, Feb 8, 2008.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Have you ever sight fished for channels in shallow water? It was the best I could do on "Superbowl weekend" as we were on our annual trip to the sand dunes at Glamis California. Several families have been doing this for 5 years, and my main objective is to get some cats for one of the dinner meals. Nothing big to speek about, but it is sure nice to be able to see the fish in the canal, and then cast out to them and "see em" move onto the bait and get hooked up. The first two that I caught came off at the hook as one time the hook straightened out, and the next the fish "shook off" as I slid it up the cement canal....

Here are some pics to the fish in the canal....

Bayrunner Ray

2. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Here are some more pics of the school of fish. There are some larger fish, in the schools, but the bigger ones are off to them selves or "fishselves"

Bayrunner Ray

3. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Got some more of the fish in the canal....

Bayrunner Ray

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Here is a couple of pics of the "quick meal" as we had to get back and get into the sand......:smile2:

Bayrunner Ray

5. gtbait

gtbait Active Member

State:
    AZ
    Ray I used to use a fly rod with a piece of crawler. The floating line would allow for better control. This was farther North on the Coachella from the Glamis area. Closer to the Salton Sea, between the Fountain of Youth Spa and the Slabs. It is a kick to watch them nudge your bait. Usually we would use surf rods with a lighter leader and drift or fly line the bait back to the Channels. We would use a step ladder, a thick piece of used carpet and a clamp on umbrella to fish the "drops" in the summer time. The ladder would get us high enough on the chain link fence to work a rod into the drop while the carpet would cover the top of the chain link. The umbrella kept that summer temp of 120 degrees off our head. We caught some very nice fish from those drops. Averaging 3-10 lbs. I surely miss fishing that canal.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice spot! I would not mind fishing in that spot.

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Interesting, very interesting!