The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little advive. This is my first flat bottom (16x60) always had V"S. The question is what length runners (guides) works best on the side short or longer?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Jerry, if you're referring to loading guides, go long and strong.

Especially on steep, deep ramps, the back of the guide may be submerged, and subject to a lot of pretty rough treatment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kat, thats what I am refering to. it has about 30" now and I was thinking maybe about 60" or so that would put me in front of the fender.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I bought something similar to these:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/369560222.htm

You will find it is easier to center your boat if you dont put the trailer too deep. I keep about half my bunks out of the water, this way the boat will slide on, but will not shift side to side and usually doesn't float back off. I also bought the light brackets to keep my lights out of the water, which is nice because thel ights that came on my trailer weren't of the submersible type.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I am gonna put aprox 4fters on my trailer-working on it now

·
Registered
242 Posts
i just got some 5 footers from cabelas for my 16' jon. As the other guys said.. I dont think you could go to long on them... seams to me you could go to short though..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Short guides are for the birds, especially if you are fishing with current. My trailer has short guides and it is a bear to load my boat if the current is up. I am in the process of trying to greatly lengthen my guides, and also narrow them to fit closer to the boat. Definitely go long!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.I lengthened the guides to about 65" they now come past the front of the fender with three uprights with braces per side. I think this will be much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts