Side runners

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by jerry w, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jerry w

jerry w New Member

State:
    ms
    Need a little advive. This is my first flat bottom (16x60) always had V"S. The question is what length runners (guides) works best on the side short or longer?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jerry, if you're referring to loading guides, go long and strong.

Especially on steep, deep ramps, the back of the guide may be submerged, and subject to a lot of pretty rough treatment.

3. jerry w

jerry w New Member

State:
    ms
    Thanks Kat, thats what I am refering to. it has about 30" now and I was thinking maybe about 60" or so that would put me in front of the fender.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I bought something similar to these:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/369560222.htm

You will find it is easier to center your boat if you dont put the trailer too deep. I keep about half my bunks out of the water, this way the boat will slide on, but will not shift side to side and usually doesn't float back off. I also bought the light brackets to keep my lights out of the water, which is nice because thel ights that came on my trailer weren't of the submersible type.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am gonna put aprox 4fters on my trailer-working on it now

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    go looooooooooooooong !!!!!!!!

7. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i just got some 5 footers from cabelas for my 16' jon. As the other guys said.. I dont think you could go to long on them... seams to me you could go to short though..

8. bowhunter6925

bowhunter6925 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Short guides are for the birds, especially if you are fishing with current. My trailer has short guides and it is a bear to load my boat if the current is up. I am in the process of trying to greatly lengthen my guides, and also narrow them to fit closer to the boat. Definitely go long!!

9. jerry w

jerry w New Member

State:
    ms
    Thanks for the replies.I lengthened the guides to about 65" they now come past the front of the fender with three uprights with braces per side. I think this will be much better.