Side Planer Boards for Drifting Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catlow37, Mar 2, 2009.

1. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    I bought a couple side planer boards to use for drifting for catfish. I just got them in and haven't used them yet, I know these things are normally used for stripers and such, but I figured why not catfish. I was just wondering If any one out there uses these things for drifting catfish and how do they work for you.:0a21:

2. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It can sure work! Check out "Mac Byrum's Catfish University" at the top of the home page for some useful info to your question. Good luck.

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I cant really give you first hand experiance with Planers for Cats like i could for running planers for stripers. But I did read on an article that talked about a guide running planers for catfish. And Also i use to make planer boards for a good bud of mine that ran a Local and Online Tackle store. Some of the people that bought my boards use to run them for Catfish, blues mainly.

He would troll, he wouldnt drift. He'd watch his speed by GPS and prefer to run at .6 -.8mph. Thats the speeds we pull planers for stripers to. Using his Minn Kota Powerdrive, you have more control. Also if you hit a good hole you can just circle back around, lines still out. Also if you get to fast, he'd throw a drift sock out the back.

He talked about running only 1 board off each side and 2 floats out the back. Personally, I'd prefer 2 boards off each side, 3boards would be a little to much for the amount of line required. And doing 1 of 2 things with the floats. First If i knew i would be be turning around much. I'd go ahead and put two floats out, far behind the boat. The 2nd is, If I knew i was going to turn around, I'd would still put line out behind the boat, but I wouldnt attach them to float's, just let them drift from the boat as you normaly would. As for the amount of line out behind the boards. Your pretty much going to know the depth and contours that you'll be drifting. Put out enough line to cover the deepest water you'll be drifting through. Then just a few extra feet. Then attach your planers board or Float. Then let the planer go out.

Use the same drift rig you would normaly use. Another thing I'd check out the "redi-rig Release Floats" They work the same as a planer board would. The bottom release's then it free and able to slide up and down the line as you fight a fish. If you aint casting a bait under a float, it Sure beats the heck out of Stop knots and slip floats. Also i cant stand using a balloon. Wether its floats or planers. Always remember to use a .8mm bead on your main line to prevent the board or float from slipping over the swivel and getting on the hook, can result in the lose of a good fish...

4. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    There is a catfish guide here in Oklahoma that uses planer boards when anchored in the river. They really work great. Give 'em a try.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    No reason they would not work. As anything that will get the bait out from the boat. Allows you to cover more water.
    I use the big floats when drifting the lake, Cast out setting the depth to where I see the fish on the depthfinder. I think with the planer boards and the depth set right they will also work.
    pete

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    One of the locals fishes the lake using planers and down riggers trolling for crappie. He always picks up a stray channel every now and then.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I fish with guys that are 100% Striper men and we pull 2 or 4 boards all the time all day long ( and free-lines, down rods, balloon rigs )and we have never caught a cat off a planer board. Can it happen ? yes, but I certainly wouldn't use it as a cat catching method.

Most Striper guys hook cats in suspended water but off down rods , and now and then off a weighted free-line or even a jig. Our baits are always within 20' or less from our board and they are used primarily for fishing the top water columns while moving, not exactly where you will find your cats.

Yes you can tweak things, as we have tried but it wasn't worth it at all. The best place to try it is in shallow ( say 20' ) water with little timber.

I cant hurt to try, everyone's lake/river is different and perhaps you will find a great way for you to fish.

g'luck
    -Jim-

8. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Lonnie,I catch a good many catfish in the fall ,mostly blues while pulling planer boards with live bait.I am targeting stripers but the blues suspend and therefore some get caught. I have never caught one in the springtime of a board though.I am adding weight to the lines behind the boards,most of the fish caught where I fish are 14 to 20 foot down.I use from a # 4 to a #2 split shot to get the bait down,pulling from.5 to .8 or so mph.I am not sure how the boards would work just drifting because you have to have a little bit of speed so the boards will pull out and away from the boat.If you are targeting suspended fish I can see where they would work but not so sure if you are gonna be dragging the bottom with your bait.I do a little ancoring in the river current with the boards also and this is on the bottom,I just let out 25 or so feet of line,attach the board and let it go out and away towards the bank till it stops.Ive caught a lot of fish this way,sometimes I dont put out as much line and you can catch fish right up on the bank.I use the waterbugz boards,they are light weight and wont hold up too much weight.If you gonna drift with planer boards Id think it may be better to have some of the bigger heaver boards like the the yellow birds or mr walleye brands..

9. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I've never used them for anything, but you might wanna get Sunbird's advice on it. I understand that he uses them pretty regularly and he has a pretty high success rate. He'd be your go-to guy.....

10. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    I mosty fish on the bottom with 6 oz of lead, by the way what is a planer board?:confused2::wink::eek:oooh:

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've seen an older guy a couple of times on outdoors programming, that fishes planers and large floats on Lake Moultrie, but can't remember for the life of me who he is, or what program it was on. I'm almost certain that at least one episode was on In Fisherman several months back. Maybe someone here who doesn't suffer from 'old-timer's syndrome' can help out. :wink:

12. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    Robbie, planer boards are mainly used when drifting. When using Rods out the side of the boat, normally the lines will run along next to the boat. Side planer boards can be attached to the line and they will take the line out away from the boat to allow for more coverage. For example, you can cast out your line about 75ft then attach a planer board then let out another 50 to 75 feet of line. Do the same one the opposite side of the boat and you are covering about 150ft of water from side to sdie vs runing the lines down the side of the boat. therefore you are presenting your bait to more fish.

thats about the best that i can explain what they do for you. Hope this helps.

13. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Robbie,here is a picture of two different brands of planer boards.Just like Lonnie said,they just take your bait/line out and away from the boat,the farther you let them behind the boat the farther out to the side they will run.The boat has to move in order for them to pull,or if you are ancored you can use the current to make them pull out.

Attached Files:

14. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    capt martin ormseth was the man on infisherman wefloated 1today butdindnt get hit ancored in mo current pull line out about 50 feet beside boat tryin to cover more area episode 521 aired 8/8/08

15. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Thanks for the info guys, i will try it the next time i go.

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sam I got the same board as the 1 in the top pic and I tried them for the 1st time sat and I couldnt get them to go out beside the boat at all and I was drifting around .5mph I recon I wasnt doing something right. What do you think.

17. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    James,if you were just drifting along with the wind or current,that may be the problem.The boat is gonna have to move faster than the water in order for the boards to pull outward.I would say if youre just going along with the wind,hit you trolling motor for a minute or so to speed up the boat,this will make the boards go outward,once they get away from the boat you could get back off the trolling motor,they would stay out for a while but with just drifting along,I believe they would soon be back behind the boat in the same drift.I go from.5 to .7 but pulling that speed with the trolling motor,not drifting.I will however cut the power off if I mark a bunch of fish that mabey is deeper than I feel my baits are running at going.7 mph.also if your bait was dragging the bottom that may have had something to do with it.I havent targeted catfish and by NO means am I a expert with the boards but I do know when mine starts to drag the bottom they do not pull properly.I very seldom use the big(mr. walleye) boards anymore.I like the smaller lightweight ones and I am usually fishing for fish that are relatively shallow,20 foot and less.The lightweight one wont hold up much weight.

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks Sam I will keep playing with them.