Side imaging Sonar

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mr Okie, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Ok Guys
    Lets hear all the good stuff about the Humminbird side Imaging. The wife thinks we might need one but I am not convinced that they are the cats meow. I guess I just can't see the benefit offsetting the cost are they really the best thing since pockets on a shirt, are they truly the Holy Grail..:confused2: :confused2:

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    CONS
    1 very expensive
    2 slow learning curve as compared to traditional units. Takes considerable time on the water to understand what you are looking at. This curve is helped tremendously by taking someone with you that is familiar with the side imaging sonar.

PROS
    1 they are the cats meow
    2 they are the "holy Grail" for catfisherman lol

Also, side imaging is the absolute bomb for crappie fisherman!

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    They are indeed the cat's meow , BUT
    you do have to learn to speak fluent cat:wink:
    ...W

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    If I can afford one then you can. If your getting one I would go with the 997 it's the best one for the money. Nanner is right about the slow learning curve, especially if your a slow learner like I am.:big_smile: The basic's are not that bad. It has so much other stuff on it that it takes time and effort to figure out. The problem is there are not too many of them around so not many people to help you out with them. Russ has one and showed me a little. Get it Okie, you will be glad you did.

5. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I have one that I use on my trolling motor. I'm not sure they are the cats meow for most catfisherman. If your just looking down into the holes and such you really don't need one. However, I fish the riprap lines for channels, they are handy for looking at the banks. If your looking to locate big fish I'd say there not worth the difference in price. A standard transducer with the widest amount of degrees possible will do just fine.

6. SLIPKNOT

SLIPKNOT New Member

State:
    Alton,IL
    I wouldnt spend my money on the 997....Spend the 400 more and get the 1197..I got mine from the Hummingbird Factory Direct store..It's online. I got a 4 year warranty compared to the Nerd 2 year warranty and I think I paid 50 bucks more than the nerds.......Plus I had nothing but trouble with The Nerds...

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I thought they were about a 1000 dollars more. I am thinking about selling my 997 in nov and buying the 1197.

8. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    How much you want for your 997 Pooper. Put me inline for it if you want to get rid of it...

9. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have the 797 and its just to small, works fine, but when i get my next one I am gonna spend the money and get the big screen 1197, If you go smaller you will always wish you went bigger...boat, reels, fishfinder, truck.

10. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    We got the 997.. and all said is true.

I am still having a heck of a time reading it. Learnign by myself is kind of a drag and a problem... but I am understanding more I think.

Anymore though, I do not think it is necessary. I am a lake fisherman... I can see more perks if you are a riverrat and wanting to see all the debris and such under the waters surface. There, I think it would be very beneficial versus just lake. That is just my two cents.

I love the GPS.. I love the waypoint tracking.. taking pictures.. loaded maps... color fishfinder, large screen, etc. etc. etc. It has a ton of perks and a lot of goods built into one unit. The price HURTS though.

IN a nuttshell... I love the 997... but is the SI that necessary?? I personally think not.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    :smile2::smile2:

gotta add the wifes elective implants to that list lmao :smile2::wink:

12. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Rogers sporting goods in liberty mo has the 1197 on sale for $2199.00 website is :cool2: ROGERS SPORTING GOODS .COM

13. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    be very careful when you buy the unit, make sure the maps are loaded, and make sure the the transducer comes with the unit. seems to be a wide range of prices out there. some leave a few things out to give a great price

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    After 9 years, I still haven't got this $400 Lowrance figured out, now ya say I need an even harder one to understand? LOL
    Mine shows depth, including the holes, quite well. That's about it.:sad2:

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a 998si & love it, I personaly think its pretty user friendly & it is the cats meow !!! :wink::eek:oooh:

16. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I noticed that today while I was surfing around. No transducer and no GPS antenna for the external models..
    I really prefer to buy from a store where I can open the box before purchasing..

17. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    ya' know, side finders are not exactly new technology. The one I have is sitting in my garage. It's about 5 years old and really didn't add that much to my fishing. I bought it to look at the banks, but as your zippin' down the bank line in a heavy current you really don't have that much time to look at the darn thing and try to figure out what your looking at. The unit I have now is a standard type Hummin' Bird and does all I need it to do.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    This is the way I look at it.....If you have the disposable income to spend $2000-$3000 on a FISHFINDER, then sure, why not? It's your money and you can do what you want with it! :wink: But that $3000 dollar piece of equipment is NOT going to catch the fish for you! It certainly is not going to make you a better fisherman.

I've seen Jason, katcatchinfool, out fish many folks WITHOUT even having a fishfinder on his boat! Same thing with Ryan, stlcatman, his sonar has been down on his boat all summer long and he has still managed to pull fish in it with out the use of a sonar.

Now, if I could justify spending the money on one, sure, I'd have it too cause it is a very nice piece of equipment, but it doesn't make you a better fisherman.

Just my penny's worth of thoughts............

19. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Toys Toys
    there out there and are great to have, i agree with Ratman.
    You have money spent it, if your fishing new water all the time.
    once checking the rivers and lakes for structure you good for awhile,
    until major flooding to change it. these catfish move so much (water levels, temp change) even the best fishfinder won't tell you where their going:eek:oooh:
    putting in time and effort, watching patterns, is the key.
    fish where the bait fish are. if they hungry they will eat.

20. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Well I see no need for me to go buy a new toy since Rat and Buckdoe is going to give me theirs...:wink: :wink: Common guys I can either pick them up at your house or you can ship them to mine. :big_smile: :big_smile:

To take a quote from Brandon.."Not having a fishfinder is like a blind man going to a peep show"