Side Imaging (Humminbird 981c)

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Kyle, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Was just wondering if anyone has used any of the new side imaging depth finders - mainly by humminbird, I think BottomLine makes a 2D one too though. I just bought me a new Humminbird 981c SI, all the reviews I've read sound great and I really like the idea of side imaging, instead of just seeing whats directly under the boat. Humminbird says if your 150 ft off the bank it allows you to see the bottom of everything inbetween you and the bank. The manual says its scans 240 FT to the left and right of the hull. Talked to one of my bassin friends who uses one and he loves it, but I was wondering if anyones ever used one for catfishing applications..ie on a river. Won't be back home to use it till about June, trying to figure weather I should put it on my river boat or bass boat (which I also catfish out of, just on lakes though)..Thanks for any input weather you've used one or not..heres a link to Humminbirds site that talks about them..

http://www.humminbird.com/productLines_wide.asp?ID=798

(some of their screen shots are just amazing)

2. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I can't tell you about the depthfinder but I can thank you for your service to this great nation. I own a lowrance LMS520c myself. I did look at the side imagers but I couldn't quite afford one. Also m I had a hell of a time convincing my wife that I needed a new depthfinder at all. Take care and get home soon so you can try out that new toy. Thank You Marine, Melvin

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I have an older Humminbird tripple beam I use on my trolling motor that is side imaging capable but I dont have the right transducer for it. It still shows if fish are to the left or right but I dont think it is all that big of a deal.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have the 987c-SI. And it is the same, But mine has the GPS. And I do use if for catfish.
    There was a lot of my info and pictures on here. But could not find it now. Guess it was lost.
    They work great. But some people think there unit is side imaging. And theres it not like there's Theres only is side view.
    Ours shows you a picture of the bottom just like the water is not there. Like this barge that is sunk.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/sidescanpicsapril001.jpg
    Or this tree's
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/Sidescanriverjune008.jpg
    I can mark a tree say 200 ft out from the right side of the boat. And that is 75 ft behind the boat as i have passed it. But just freeze my frame and mark it . Then go back to it. That is were the Extra $200+ is worth it for the Built in GPS.
    Also the unit will allow you to mark a fish that is by a log and go right back to that log and fish. I marked a fish on the right where the cursor is . Them made a drift and caught it. IT was a 20 lb blue.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/NewholeWestNorth.jpg
    Also landed a 45 lb 12 oz blue doing that last fall.
    There is so much this until can show you of a body of water that people think they know. I have been fishing the River here for 40+ years. Grew up on the banks of it. And after buying the 987 found out I did not know a 10th of what I thought I did on the river here.
    Also I have had my unit for over a year and still love it.
    Pete

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Pete,
    HB must have a patent for now or something for this technology (?) I am thinking since they are only ones selling this. Cant imagine others would'nt love this price market too.

Any thoughts what this units next evolution or improvement might be? total coverage (bottom as well)?

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    This is a Quote from A guy at Humminbird. Not the whole thing. so don't take it the wrong way.
    ((Pete, don't want to sarcastic.......but you're going to have to wait about 17 years for our patents to run out. Updates for the 987 are being worked on.))
    So looks like it may be a lot of years before any of the others come out with one.
    Pete

7. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    This article is about 6mos old:
    Here's an update on what various marine-electronics manufacturers have just over the horizon:

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/electronics/electronics/over-under-sideways-down-44697.html
    Although there hasn't been any direct buzz about side scan from other manufacturers, it's safe to expect others to avail themselves of the technology. Regardless, all three formats will undoubtedly be improved, but with Humminbird able to bring side scan to the larger market (price-point-wise), there should be more movement on that front than on any other.
    "We truly believe that side imaging is the next revolution in fish finding, and it will be the technology of choice of serious anglers for many years to come," says Gibson. "We'll continue to create more innovative products around this technology."