Sickle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Pip, May 25, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Been playing around with these sickle hooks i got off Pete. Tell ya what i'm liking them. been using the 4/0 and 5/0's for the channels and just finally got to use the 10/0's for the flatheads.

Far as using the 10/0's for the flatheads go, I had 3 of them that started running on their own and set the hook there selves while the rod was still in the holder. but the rest I set myself. It is nice to know you have a double action hook you can use either way, depending on the conditions. No more having to wonder if you choose the wrong hook that the conditions will present to ya.

Far as the channels, most hooks will work, but again, it is nice having that option to either set the hook or let the fish set it. Most times a channel with that pecking bite, a circle will be fine. But having the option that the sickle hook offers just adds up in my favor.

You add in the fact that these sickle hooks are razor blade sharp, not taking much to pierce something only adds to the quality of the hook itself.

Personally, and this is only my opinion, Matched against the kahle hook style, the sickle will win everytime. I've probably used the Kahle close to 20 years or better.

2. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    What does a sickle hook look like I don't beleive I have ever seen one?

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa

Sorry about that, should have put an image up....

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    These hooks have been sold on Wild Wolf Products for a few years. Theres pictures added to this post of them. Or just go to http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/hooks.htm And there on the site. I hope to have a Shipment of hooks in within the next 10 days. Were running low or out of some. I have a Few packs of 7/0's left. After there gone the price will go up. I have these priced at what they were last year. But New order of hooks are costing me lots more. So I have to pass the price increase along.

Pip I was sure if you got a chance to try these hooks out. You would sure like them. As with what you found out about them. They allow a person to set the hook. Or allow the fish to set the hook there self. The 7/0 size is a good all around hook size. Its great for small fish or bigger fish.
    Shoot Back in Feb at Fish and Camp, Bam caught some nice ones on the 7/0's Using a 2 hook rigs.
    The 10/0 and 11/0's are a great Big Bait hook. And will handle any fish you will ever catch in fresh water.
    Check them out, after trying them most people keep on using them.
    Pete

Attached Files:

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Pete sent me a couple when i ordered some glow stiks awhile back. They work and are the sharpest hook i ever used.

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Pete, you wasn't wrong, I do like them. i've always either used the kahle or a Circle hook, and sometimes would wonder if I had the right hook for the occasion. Big difference now is, I can still be a dummy and look smart by using the sickles. I honestly don't see a downside to them. Kind of the "best of both worlds", when I'm using them.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I told Pete in PM a minute ago i had a fish slam a sickle at Warsaw last week. Ended up fouling the fish as i was draggin it across the top sideways. The hook didn't fail, the rod and line didn't, but rather my reel. By far the biggest fish i ever caught on a rod. Thats fish under the bridge so to speak, but like i said the hook didn't fail, and he set it when he hit like a freight train. The 2 pete sent me definitely sold me, i'll order more this friday.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Was it mentioned that they are "SHARP" LOL! Its funny sometimes. I'll have a couple people on the boat and a rod loads up and I just ignore it and finish what I was doin. Take one more bite of a sandwich and then go get the rod. The fish will be on there. :wink:

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is a Sickle hook for you. Best of both worlds. Shoot after people try them out. There hooked. :wink:
    Pete

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Shoot that is one thing that is nice about them. There fool proof. :embarassed::embarassed: That is me being the fool not you buddy. Shoot I can even catch fish on these baby's.:cool2:
    Its just so hard to get people to try something new to them. But I have not had but one person talk bad about the Sickle Hooks. And that was he can't pick them up without getting stuck with one of them.
    AS Big George posted there SHARP...:crazy: SHARP.
    Pete

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Granted they have a rather unorthodox look about them. I could care less what they look like as long as it works. By far the sharpest hook i've ever used and up until the time they fail, i'll continue to use them. The fish i mentioned that my reel fizzled out on set the hook when it hit that shad head, i didn't have time to do anything but grab the rod and crank. Glad it was in a holder or it would have been yanked out of the boat.:confused2:

12. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    just started using them sickles this weekend and i dont think i will be using anything else. they are scary sharp and i like having the option of setting it my self or letting the fish do it.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Pip I like that Double Action Hook.I can see it now. Double Action Sickle hooks. Best hook on the market. When you only won't the best. Use Wild Wolf Products Double Action sickle hooks. They will hook you with there out of this world Hook shape and scary sharp point.:cool2:

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use differant hooks for my fishing but when im tight lining i use the 7/0 sickles and george is right its hard to get a hook out of the package without leaving some blood behind.

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I tried sickle hooks for the first time this weekend after much frustration this year with about only a 30% hookup rate. I love these sickles. The poles that had the sickles caught 17 out of 18 fish that hit them and the hook was all the way through the lip on all of them. The pole that I still had a circle hook on went 0 for 4. All my poles now have the sickles on them.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jay the sickle hooks will make a believer out of people fast. They work and hold up. And there not as hard to get back out of a fish after getting it in the boat also.
    Pete