Sick of Winter?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Spider, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Where's the warm weather!:confused2:
    Sick of cold, wind, and winter mix.
    I may be nuts in the eyes of some, but I much more enjoy the hot days of summer.

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm with you bring on the heat and the bite:wink:

3. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    id rather have it 90 all day and night then have this cold weather

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Last week we had 70-80 degree weather. This week 35-45 degree weather with sleet and rain.

5. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    gonna be in the 60s by wednesday I'm goin fishin alone if I gotta :cool2:

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Spring has finally started come to the alleghany river. although its subtle water temps have been on the rise since Mar 1 and were sustained during a period of high water discharge... expect trending of the temperatures to deepen. currently at 2°; aprox 35-36°. Given good temps and lower flows, we could see 40° water within a few weeks.

heres the chart; BTW for those that struggle with metric... the magic number 40°= 4.4° and that should represent 'prime time' for early spawning of walleyes, pike, crappies, and bullheads.

Attached Files:

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    We had spring weather this weekend! :big_smile: I had myself a Trout type weekend. The stream which runs through my yard (Buffalo Creek) was stocked with Trout Saturday. My daughter Kelli and I along with 8 of my buddies helped with the stocking!Today (Sunday) I went out to Glade Run Lake which is a special regulation lake and open till March 31 for Trout fishing. I caught 5 Trout and 10 Bluegill. I put out a rod with cut Bluegill the last 2 hours hoping for Channel Cat action but came up empty. A few pics attached. Pic #1 is the Fish Commission guys filling a bucket. Pic #2 is Kelli dumping a bucket. Pic #3 is one of the Trout from today!

Attached Files:

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    looks like nice bait to me Scott :wink:.

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    caught between a nearly unfishable wave of water at the river and half ice out conditions elsewhere... my try was minor and unenthusiastic. what was nicer was that I spent some real quality time with my kids and on friday night went stargazing with them with my big telescope. the kids loved them. they'll be better times to fish.

sunday was a pleasatn afternoon with a weenie roast and a intense badmitton game. its Lots of fun being beat by badmitton and bad! by a 9year old:smile2::wink:

10. It's been a long cool winter and the weekends lately have been lousy and the mid-week good. I hate that cycle.:confused2:The river temp actually dropped since last week.:sad2:I AM GETTING SICK OF THIS!

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm ready to get out and do some serious fishing,the cabin fever was gettin to me the kids are enrolled in their new schools ready to start tomorrow now this dumb weather needs to cooperate so the fish wake up and start hitting.:smile2:

12. VOODOO 1

VOODOO 1 New Member

State:
    PA
    How does the saying go. " If they can swim in it, I can fish in it."

13. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Hoping to get started putting my boat's trailer vack together today. It's now 7:30 AM and it's only 27 degrees outside. That SUCKS! I can't tolerate cold and get sick too easy so it's gonna have to warm up before I drag all the stuff out to work.

14. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I had a rough, why am I fishing moment last night too, with temps in the 20...

but I caught fish! and was glad I went:roll_eyes:

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i was out last nite too and when i went to pull the boat out of the water there was ice along the top of the boat :eek:oooh::confused2:

16. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    It's time to head south of the border for a couple days. I've got the blues, and the best way to fix that is go after some blues. 2 days fishing and 1 day taking the wounded warriors out. I'm ready for one of those marathon runs. Fun time to be on the river right now.

17. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    an interesting pattern is taking place in the river (@ the Kinzua dam TWers) right now.. for about a week the river hasn't been getting much warmer. I wonder if recent cold weather has halted spring warmth.

its possible, as well, that the lake above this dam has been turning. this might explain why I'm doing so well for bait (aka calico or crappies) at a lake right now.

I would expect good things to happen when we bust through this 'spring standstill'...

for now though, I think I'm doing about as good as you can do up here. while y'all might call calico good bait- I call it a 'good fish dinner'...and it will make many enjoyable meals later in the year.:wink:
    If I fill in the freezer with these little guys I will be tempted less to eat the medium sized channels I have been catching.:smile2:

I'm already at 17 crappies bigger than 10" in about 6 hours of fishing time; gonna go out tonight and get me some more.

BTW; I intend to keep posting these temperatures trends. they're kind of fun and I see it; a good indication when I intend to switch to catting...
    (50° or 10°C)

Attached Files:

18. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Well, spring is definitely got a grip on the water temps. Out of kinzua, the water temp is nearly 5°C (41°F) and is rising relatively rapidly. You can the brief dip down on March 28th. that is from that last cold day.

I wish that last cold day had affected all the waters so little. In chautaqua lake where I have been avidly fishing for crappies - water temps have dropped 3-5° and still haven't recovered. Recently, those shiny sided dinnerplates have been hard to find.

hopefully the lake will recover over the trend this weekend, cuz tuesday will be another miserable cold day with possible snow (so they say) in NW Pennsylvania. Yuck:crazy:

anyway we're nearly guarenteed one miserable snowstorm After the opening of trout season! Its always the most miserable snow. Round about 10°C I intend to check out all the old sites for signs of whiskers.

Attached Files:

19. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Figures! Another weekend, or at least Saturday, that doesn't look good for getting anything done with my boat. Winds are terrible now and not forcast to be any better tomorow. Not having a garage really sucks!
    Seems if it's not raining, it's cold and/or real windy. What's up with this screwy weather? Is the end near?