Sick of Sunfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Higgsa720, May 28, 2009.

1. Higgsa720

Higgsa720 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hello, I just found this site and have enjoyed reading it. Lots of good info. I moved here with my family about 8 years ago. I have a little King Fisher john boat with a 25hp motor. It is good for almost all water except "Big" water.

Anyway, I digress. My two oldest bouys are finally old enough to have the patience to sit for more than 20 minutes with out wanting to leave if the fish aren't biting. This makes me happy becuae I am sick of fishing for bluegills/sunfifsh all the time. Don't get me wrong, I have a blast with the kids and get a hoot out of watching them. But I want to get back to catfish and bass and see their faces when they hook into a 5-10 pound cat.

I live in Olathe, can anyone point me to some reliable catfish spots? Someone in Walmart said the KAW below the Lawrence spill way was great. Any other ideas of places and spots?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Andy in Olathe.

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome to the BOC Andy, we have alot of brothers from kansas, somebody will get u lined out on some info. save some of those blue gills for bait.

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
  4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Andy. I'll let the Kansas guys tell you the best.

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    take those sunfish and keep them alive and use them for bait!!!!!!!!!!

6. KBSJayhawk

KBSJayhawk New Member

State:
    Kansas

7. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Andy

Since the youngsters are good a catching brim take them out to Gardner Lake and fish around the KDWP fish feeder there. After they have caught some brim for bait just cut the brim up and drop them in and around the fish feeder. I'm not sure if the feeders have been filled and operational yet.

Here is a link for Gardner Lake. You'll have to come in on the west side to get to the ramp since that road running across the spillway on the north side is now closed.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.85351+-94.93359&x=19&y=14&hl=en

Also Cedar Lake also has a feeder by the ramp on the north end of the dam. Also brim for bait is also easy to catch there with tiny hooks and just small piece of worm under a bobber.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.84733+-94.84727&x=22&y=20&hl=en

At Gardner make sure the rods are attended because some of those ten plus pound channel in there would have fun pulling a rod into the water.:wink:

Good luck.

8. Higgsa720

Higgsa720 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I will try Gardner, It is close and is a good size for my boat. BIG thanks on the eating advisory.