Sick Of Litter? Let's Do Something About It!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattoo, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    this is a post i have been debating on writing for a little while now and i need some input. how many of you guys are sick to death of going to your local fishing spots and seeing them overrun with trash? i can think of nothing more that absolutley infuriates me than this! the last time i was over at cannelton i was just looking around at the landscape and i just wanted to scream! i don't know how many of you guys remember the litter commercials that used to come on in the late 70's that had the crying indian on them but thats how i felt! why,why,why?!?!?!? i always try and take a couple walmart bags with me (most of them time i can just find some discarded ones lying around) and fill them up with trash from my immediate fishing area and if i camp i bring several large trash bags and sweep a larger area but this isnt really putting a dent in the problem so, i am proposing to take this clean up effort to the next level and i need some help. i believe education is key to defeating this problem and community involvement. some people litter cause they just don't realize what harm it does to the environment. what i am proposing is a cleanup day sponsored by the BOC. i don't know if the BOC has done this kind of thing before but it would be awesome. we could start out small patroling a couple of places and expand year to year. the campaign i would like to see get started would be something like" cleaning up the ohio". we could start by going to different places along the ohio river. i would like to see us get some t-shirts printed up with the BOC logo on it and maybe "trash patrol" or something like that on the back. we could also have some business cards or flyers printed up with facts about littering on them. and we would need to talk to as many people as possible. we are a very large organization and we should take the lead for others will follow. but anyway, i just wanted to see if i could get some interest in this and maybe get the ball rolling. if you are interested please post here.thanks for your time.

p.s. this could also be a good time for fellowship with other brothers and sisters. we could have a picnic or something. just a thought.

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Its a great idea Keith and i applaud your concern. Last year i started taking 60 gal trash bags with me when i go fishing. I leave them in the problem areas where i fish and most people will use them. The problem is when they get full no one carts them away, and if i don't get up there often enough ive still got a mess to pick up. I was hoping the idea would catch on but so far no one wants to take the responsibility of taking the trash with them when the bag gets full but it has improved.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Well that would be a great thing to do,but it won't make a dent in the problem. The only thing that's gonna change this is if they start putting ppl in jail for littering the banks & waters. I've seen this work before,I was out at the lake and the Fish & Game Officer showed up and was checking F.L.. Then he told about 15 ppl if you don't pick up that trash I'm gonna take you to jail. He had been watching them though stuff down for while before he came over. Guess what? they claened up NOT only their trash but they kept picking up trash until he told they could start fishing again. I was LMAO watching them clean up around the lake. I gave the Officer a cold soda while he was watching them pick up the trash. I asked him if he knew what he was gonna be called when he left,he said yep but I'm not really gonna be gone. Well he left after telling them they could go back to fishing "or so they thought". This one guy start pitching a fit saying screw him he can't do this kind of thing to ppl for dropping a little trash. Then the guy starts fishing again and a litle while later he dropped some trash on the ground and then started packing up to leave. Right about the time he got to his truck the Officer showed back up and cuffed him put him in the car and walked own and got the trash the guy dropped. Now when I go out there and see some of the ppl that was made pick up trash and seen the other guy get locked up they always seem to pick up their trash now.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Keith, I have seen many people just throw their trash into the water. I think they think that the water will make it disappear. The trouble is it will either drift to the bottom or float on down stream to land on the bank. Trash can be harmful to many types of wildlife, fish and birds, not to mention unsightly. I would pick up trash on a piece of the Ohio River Bank here, maybe a mile stretch or so along my local ramp. Vern

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    To me this sounds like a good idea. For 2 reasons. 1st, it helps to clean up and to get others eyes opened. 2nd, it will help to get the BOC name out there. The more people that know about the BOC, the more members we will have. The more members we have, the more people that can be positively influenced.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great idea... I admire this young fella...

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    EXACTLY!!! THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!! PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD.

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    even if it didnt put a dent in the problem, we , the boc as a collective group would be doing a positive and just thing. you don't see the bassholes doing this kinda thing. i guess since there is not any money involved it is not worth the time. do i think it will stop litter? well hell no, but it if it just opened a few eyes it would be worth it. education has a way of being contagious.

9. catfisher50

catfisher50 New Member

State:
    minn
    i think the trash on the shore is a sad thing. i myself will take a sack with me when i go catfishing. i pick up the trash my own and any more that there. there are some that will pick up after them self. and there are some that will not. we do have a canoe club here in minnesota that ones a year goes down the river and cleans the banks. hope we can do more.:smile2:

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Like I said it's a great idea and may help with some ppl. However for things to really change ppl have to learn if they litter they stand a good chance of going to jail. If they would just lock up enough ppl for doing it word would get around real fast and ppl would stop doing it. We can tell ppl until we are blue in the face,but they are not gonna think twice about it until they know they will face jail time. Talk to your Fish & Game Officers in your area and point out to them where the spots are the worst and see if they will start cracking down on the litters.

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I pick up trash ever place I fish. But it does no good at all due to the fact that others come right behind me and trash the place again. I have seen the one and only thing that works and it works well,now if ALL the Fish & Game Officers would do the same things would change.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Liter is a big blot on the outdoors, and does nothing to help the fish and wildlife. Unfortunately, nothing is going to be done about it. There is just too many other crimes being committed hourly that regulates littering to a nuisance. And, I would much rather have the s.o.b. who stole my handguns and rifles in jail than someone who threw a snickers wrapper on the ground. There is no answer to this problem - There is sufficient litter right here in my neighborhood that I don't need to drive 90 some miles to Keystone for a BOC gathering to pick up liter. I carry a couple of lawn/garden trash bags with me when I go to public places and generally fill them up before I leave. I'm too darn old to be carrying that stuff a half mile to a garbage pick-up point, but too darn stubborn to leave it laying on the ground. I don't ever expect I'll bet a gold star from the good Lord for doing this, but I know what I am accomplishing. I wonder how many birds and raccoons are alive today because I took just a few minutes to pick up all that monofilament fishing line just thrown around. We all do the best we can with our limited resources.

13. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hmmm........let's see, that really works with drugs doesnt it? or drunk driving or almost all crime come to think of it! novel idea, poor results.

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    as far as the contacting fish and game, thats a joke. got a chance to speak to a couple of guys from that organization and they said they just usually make people pick up the area like you had said in your previous post. no tickets, no jail time. besides, your still missing the point.

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Well Done!

I occasionally took a garbage bag to the L&D16 tailwater fishing area to pick up trash, but it's been a while... last winter to be exact.

Thank you for the post... I am reminded to pick up the area every time I go there.

I need a BOC t-shirt with TRASH PATROL on the back. :wink:

A simple ticket for littering would be the best punishment for an habitual litterbug... hit him in the wallet and make him take a day off work to go to court!

16. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i never said anybody had to drive very far to do any of this. we could all do this in our own areas.

17. wvdave

wvdave New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Me and the kids are heading out tonight.
    We always take a few minutes to pick up trash. If everyone did even 10 minutes of cleaning every trip, that would sure help.
    Its the people that liter and destroy property that make it hard for us to find places to hunt and fish.
    We always take out more than we took in. I just wish everyone did

18. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I REALLY hate this too. It seems like everytime
    I go back to my favorite spot there's more trash
    left behind. I try to pick up what I can and I
    find myself cussing and building up a bad attitude
    at the same time.I'ts B.S. The last time I went to
    my spot there were three guys leaving from there.
    I was there the day before and there was'nt much
    trash there because I picked most of it up. But now
    there were bottles, paper and a broke down lawn chair.I looked at the guys and said "why do people
    do this?" They all three just looked at me like I
    was speaking a different language and they said
    nothing! There was no doubt in my mind that they
    were the culprets.I just wish I had the authority
    to tell them to put down their gear and start cleaning up right now!!! I would have given them
    hell!

I think a good idea might be if DNR would highly
    promote a program to get people to report these people and make a swift response.Couple this with
    big fines and mabe we'd be on to something. Picking
    up the trash ourselves is a fine idea but as most of us know it comes back very soon. However, I'll
    keep picking up after these dirt balls anyway.

19. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i live in northern,ky and up here every lake and on the ohio river we have alot of "clean up the banks" projects. the biggest is the great ohio river clean up and hundreds come out 4 these and r lakes r very clean. you should start somethin like that weve had it for years and works wonders. the only thing i never seen was a project 2 clean up the carbage at the bottem of r lakes and rivers thats what we realy need here.

20. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bassholes....LMAO...I like it!....Says it all...:big_smile: