Sick 40hp Mariner

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by turtle, Mar 6, 2007.

1. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    I got a 40 hp mariner that wont stay running in gear or out of gear at a idle it will sneeze back through the carbs seems to be running rich the plugs are wet. i have decarbed the pistons with sea foam and used deep creep could the carbs be dirty and causing it or change the plug heat range. Thanks for any suggestions

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You'll need a model number and year to give these guys.

3. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    It is a 1986 mariner not sure of the model #

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Bobpaul is now a professional at that motor, let me tell ya.
    Only thing I learned was its a Yammer not a Mariner.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You'll need a compression check, and spark check for the initial diagnosis.

When was the last time it ran good?

Do you know for sure you've got fresh gas and a clean tank?

6. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    I have had the boat for about a year.it ran fine when i first got it and gradually got worse.i can check the compression but i dont have a way to check the spark +i dont know how. all i know is the plugs are wet with gas

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    An easy way to check spark is with a spark plug inserted into the plug wire, and with insulated pliers, hold the plug end to a ground on the engine, any bare metal away from the plug hole will work as a ground.

Crank the engine and look for spark at the plug. You may need assistance cranking the engine, while you hold the plug to ground.

All plugs should be removed for ease of cranking.

Next you need to check out the gas and tank. Pour all the gas into a 5 gallon white bucket. Look for water at the bottom of the bucket and look into the tank to check that it's clean.

8. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    I took the carbs apart last night and cleaned them and went and got another set of plugs. put it back together today and did a compression test it had 125 pounds of pressure:big_smile: so i started it idles alot better just a little fast went to turn down idle screw and its backed all the way off mettering scews for the fuel mixture must be off. Thanks for the info.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A very quick way to check spark is to have wife hold spark plug wire.A very loud noise means spark.No noise,no spark.My second wife is twice as smart as my first wife.Yea,I did!I have been bad.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

10. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    If only I can get my wife to sit in my tool box...lol