Siamese Cats...Anybody else got 'EM?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Our "unofficial" Siamese tomcat never did come "home" folowing the ice storm a couple weeks ago. I'm assuming he had a bad day...as outdoor cats sometimes do. (Tough life bein' a cat)

My wife was mildly upset...the kids were asking about it.

So I see an ad in the newspaper classifieds for Flamepoint Siamese cats...no papers...for $75.

We went and looked at them...and they were about 16 weeks old...and are GORGEOUS!

Never had seen a flamepoint siamese before. They are snow white...have VIVID blue eyes,with pink noses and paw pads...and the markings (The points) around the face, feet, and tail are peach colored instead of the more common chocolate or seal.

We picked one out...and the lady hesitated...and then asked if we would be interested in two cats.

I said naw...we just dont have the money after the ice storm and all the unexpected expense that went along with it.

She said that the one we picked out has a brother that is attached at the hip to him...and would be lost without him.

I could have them both for the same money.

You can guess how this went over when I looked over to pleading eyes from my daughter and wife.

"Well"...I said looking at my wife and daughters..."ok...I guess." (I fully intended to give one away to a woman I work with...but that...predictably fell through...lol)

Well...we get them home...and promptly discovered that what she had failed to say was...the "attached at the hip" tag...only applied to ONE cat!

There have been some hellacious fights at the food bowl...but they remain united against Tippy the Schitz-u...lol.

One is sweet as all get out...the other one...well...lets just say he has "character"...lol.

They are VERY vocal...and curiosity is the name of their game.

Their names are Oscar (The big cat)...and Cracker (the smaller cat).

On the plus side...in two days...they have by using teamwork...killed three mice.

It's freaking HILARIOUS to watch these two play with one another.

As with all Siamese...its like watching a pair of martial arts experts run through their moves...whereas with regular cats...its more like watching a couple kids fight at recess on the playground.

The flamepoints are much more rare than a seal, chocolate, blue, or even the lilac point Siamese are.

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/siamese/siamese-cat-breeders/cat-flame-point-siamese.html

http://pets.webshots.com/explore/flame/point/siamese/cat

Attached Files:

2. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Are they cross-eyed?? I only have the one black cat now, but I have had several thousand cats over the years. A few siamese.

A few years ago my inside cat cat got outside and got knokced up. She had 3, two yellow and one LONG HAIRED SIAMESE. White and grey, very white and very gray. Blue eyes, crossed eyed. Second siamese that I have owned that was crossed eyed.

That was my favorite cat. She hated most people but loved me. Mainly stayed in my bedroom.
    I went out of town for night, kids had a party, got home to find my cat dead.
    Someone (I know who and I WILL someday get my revenge) decided it was OK to go into my room and mess with the cat. She scratched him, and after that the story has changed several times. Some say he beat it to death, some say it was alive and he threw it outside and it got ran over. Either way he had no right to be anywhere near that cat, and even if he threw it out it had never been outside, ever.

Anyway, those are beautiful cats you got there. I love to watch all cats play but siamese are definately more graceful about it.
    Had one once that we named SKITZO, that kinda says it all about his personality. Sweet as can be, but funny as he!! to watch him play and see what he was gonna tear up next. Worse than some of the dogs I've had.:smile2: That crazy cat loved the water and would try to take a bath with ya!:eek:oooh:

Matt will kill me, but if I ever find another longhaired that looks like that, I'm bringin it home!:big_smile:

3. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    hummm hummm cats taste just like chicken. just kidding they are a little more like dog. but for real i have a group of ferral cats i take care the group at one time was as large as 8 now it is down to 3 I know of one we had to put down due to feline lukiema. and another my fav found dead on the road. Keeping the pride around helps out with rodants, and snakes.

4. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My grandparents used to feed alot of wild cats. Grandma would buy dry food, canned food, and mix them together with milk and bread.

I remember one time when my great aunt was in the hospital grandma and grandpa were there all day every day. Grandpa said one evening that they had to hurry and get home to do the "feedin". I thought they they had lost their marbles, they hadn't had any livestock on that farm for years.:crazy:

Dad informed me they were talking about the cats. The ones they fed but could'nt touch, could'nt get within 5 feet of!:eek:oooh:

Grandpa also bet me 5 bucks that I couldn't catch one. I think I still have the scar.:wink:

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great looking cats, man! Good deal.
    I was at a party in Georgia once and heard some guy talking about a Siamese tom cat he was trying to find a home for. I heard him say it weighed 35#. I thought, yea, right! I told him that if it was that big, that I'd take it off his hands. The next day he brought over the biggest cat I've ever seen outside of a zoo. This thing was huge....not fat, just BIGGGG! He then told me that it was a big baby and loved to have his belly scratched. I rolled him over and started to scratch. Suddenly I had 1 1/2 inch claws and fangs digging into my hand and arm. My sleeve was shredded and blood was dripping off my fingers. By the time I got away, I thought I'd find my arm eaten off up to the elbow. However, when we got the blood cleaned up, I discovered that it was nothing that 10 or 12 stitches wouldn't fix! I still wound up keeping him. One day I woke up to the sound of a fight and ran outside. Four dogs had the cat cornered under the house. I got my gun and went back out. One of the dogs was all over my cat so I shot him and the others took off, out from under the house. I got two more before they left the yard. I was just a little too late, though. They killed the cat.

6. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's a bummer about your big cat. I personally will not have a dog that kills cats. Matt had a dog that thought cats were tastey when we moved in here. That's why I had to get rid of the 5 or 6 that I had before we moved in.

He used the dog for an excuse to not have cats, then after the dog died he just decided that he hates cats cause they stink and shed. Like a dog don't.:wink: Got one anyway! HaHa. :smile2:
    The darn thing don't like people though and hides upstairs. IF it comes down it's in the middle of the night and it high tails it back up the stairs if it sees a human.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    We have one now that's the same way. Munchie hates people...even us. She doesn't want to be touched, held, petted, or rubbed. She'll bite us in a minute. She's scared to death of birds, too.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    And that, right there, is why I shoot every dog that sets foot on my place on sight. The pup in my avatar is the lone exception.

We kept a bunch of outdoor, borderline feral cats. They kept getting picked off, in our yard, by bobcats.:sad2:

I love kitties.:big_smile:

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have been around cats all my life. Always had cats growing up. I like cats, more than people. That is hard for some men to do. Couldn't have a farm without cats. My Dad was an excellent husbandman with any livestock. Never saw him abuse an animal in any way. If an animal did him wrong he would put his fist into the barn side rather than take it out on an animal. He never loved an animal, he liked them. They made him money, or he ate them or they worked for him. An animal he really enjoyed was a barn cat, barn lions we called them. You have seen the documentaries about lion prides. You could do exactly the same thing with barn cats. All the nuances and social ladder that exists with those big cats existed with the barn cats. You just had to pay attention to see them to see it.

When you saw all the cats that might be on the place at any given moment in time was at milking. They always got the first pour out of the first cow we milked. That is the only time they got along with each other. Every body digging into that bowl or bowls of fresh milk. Dad was as good at hitting you with a stream of milk from a cow as a sniper can hit somebody at a 1000 yards. He and the cats would make a game out of being squirted by milk from those cows teats. The only fun part of milking, other than being done.

When I sold my small animal practice in Chicago I had almost 10,000 client names on the books. My practice was about 45 % dogs, 35 % cats and 10 % something else that might be popular at the time (birds, hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, etc.) Only about 10 % of the cats were Siamese. They are really no different than other cats, just look different. More moody and finicky sometimes. But still cats. Have a lot of stories about some of those cats

Catcaller, you will like yours. Don't ever tell any of your buddies you might like your cats. Men for what reason I don't know don't like them. Probably because it is like living with a woman who won't cook for you.

Nice pictures. John.

10. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I have indoor/outdoor cats. If my cats were to venture on someone elses property and get into a dog fight it would suck but I would have to except that. On the other hand I have no sympathy for a dog coming over to my place and going after one of my cats. I'll kill the dog, no questions asked. Then I'll tell the neighbor I did it.

Brian, I wouldn't give up on that cat that dissapeared a couple weeks ago. I had one come home after 2 months after a hurricane.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Tom...if ya know what I mean here...the cat never was so much "ours".

He showed up one day like he picked our address out of a phonebook....adopted us....and then occasionally graced us with his prescence...when he'd show up and noisily start making demands about why the food bowl wasn't full?? What the hell is this clear liquid?? WATER??? That's sick man. You KNOW I require milk...now make it snappy!!

We accomadated him for as long as he'd want to stay...then he'd blow out of town for a few days...surely tending the other hostages he probably keeps somewhere...and then he'd come back to us...just like nothing ever happened.

He was an outdoor cat by the very definition...probably dumped by his last owner...as he was kind of an a$$hole.

These new ones are going to be indoor pets...I doubt if Tomcat would approve...and he WOULD NOT understand.

I'm sure he'd simply take care of business...and promptly deal with the situation in an expedient manner.

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    John...I was wondering with you being a retired veterinarian...have you ever heard of...or ar you familiar with the flamepoint Siamese cats?

I had never heard of the flamepoints before I saw the ad...and then Googled them. (I know...it sounds bad. :sad2:)

They are purported to be quite rare...and a relatively new breed.

As far as your cat/animal stories...man John...I'd love to hear them.

Animals are good for your soul. I get great delight out of funny or remarkable animal stories...as I'm sure many of us do.

It's amazing how animals can help lift the spirits of a lonely person. They accept you for what you are...and expect nothing more from you than what you choose to give them.

I always liked that old saying..."I only wish I could be as good of a person as my dog thinks I am..."

Ain't that the truth.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We had 2 siamese cats once. A male and female Named Romulus and Remus. The female was such a good cat and mouser with a really good personality. The male was the meanest cat I have ever known... But he was beautiful !