Si unit vs. Standard graph

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by 1elkhunter, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 1elkhunter

1elkhunter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo
    Anyone have any input on side imaging pros and cons. My LMS480M got ping'ed by a large barge and fried the gps capability, graph still works but I consider GPS a must have after using it so long. Looking for all the particulars on function of the SI that I can get.
    Thanks

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Love my side image and feel almost blind when I'm on someone's boat who doesn't have it:smile2: Curious to see what Lowrance comes out with (if they ever release it) and how it compares to H'bird's units. Can't think of any cons, really, other than price and the size of the transducer and the rooster tail of water it causes.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Side imaging is a great tool! Expensive but worth it.

I don't have a rooster-tail. Si transducers (I have both left and right) are mounted above the hull line to protect them, they are for slow speed ops anyway. And the signal is also split with a 'Y' cable to allow using a smaller 2D transducer for looking down. It came with a rubber plug that eliminates the rooster-tail.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I bought one in Feb of 2006, if it goes out today. You can bet there will be one going back on my boat as soon as I could save up the cash.
    Its allowed me to find fish I would never caught without it. I have been able to scan a section of river. Find that one log in 100 yards of that section that had a fish on it. Mark it with the GPS, then get above it where I need to set up. Start a controlled drift. Drift right back to that log, catch that fish. Now that does not happen each time. But Man the times you do catch a fish like this that is 20 to 40 lbs.
    Well as the saying goes. Its priceless.
    I can search 5 miles of a river, in a few hours. Where with a standard unit your going to spend days learning the same waters..
    Please let me tell you this, if your not willing to learn the unit. Believe in the unit and what its showing you. Its not for you.But if your one of those people that will take the time to read the manual, Spend time on the water just using the unit. No fishing just spend say 10 hours searching waters you know something about. Then its for you.
    Also I added a Matrix 97 up front and will be adding the deal that allows me to mark a waypoint on the back and it shairs it with the font also. This is going to make this unit even better.
    I for one would hate to have to go back to just using a standard 2-D unit again. Also as for the rooster tail theres a fix for that that works good.
    After you use one of these units you will have your eyes opened to a whole new world.
    Pete

5. 1elkhunter

1elkhunter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo
    Thanks for the input. I was wondering on actual operation if you could see more than structure. I've seen all the videos of both HB and Lowrance side imag/view but they always show structure or baitfish. Just curious if you could see or interpret say a forty or fifty lb blue or spoonbill. In a quarter mile wide channel with little structure, other than bends to hold in I would like to think that you see or interpret at least the largest of the fish.
    Also I would like to know about the standard sonar. With the lowrance graphs you can tell the difference between a 20lb and a 60lb spoon or cat. You can also separate hard (scaled) fish from soft fish such as cats or spoons, the grey scale is much deeper (taller) and the color units transition from deep red to kind of moderate yellow wheras the hard scaled fish are typically nothing more than a single black arch of some size or another. I haven't found a sole yet that could tell me about the function of the traditional sonar on the si's or about how they liked the gps and whether the gps was waas enabled and how's the accuracy.
    I appreciate all your input, thanks.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    As I posted I find fish off to the side. Fish on the SI show up as a white spot bigger fish show up as bigger white spots.
    I have seen whole schools of spoonbills here with mine. Also go by a Gill net a fisherman had out. Told him he had 3 in his net. He laughed but came by after running it and asked me how in the world I could see those fish and I was 50ft from him LOL
    Heres crappie holding around a spillway.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/crappiebeachlake007.jpg
    Heres more crappie
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/306pickwick018.jpg
    Caught crappie from both of them.
    This I think was a big blue. We caught one 30+ lbs about where that fish is. Its the white spot left side.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/Octblues09024.jpg
    This one is a good fish on a crappie bed and I did catch a 25 lb blue on that waypoint I put on that fish about 10 minutes later.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/Yellowcreekpump02.jpg
    2-D view of a dropoff with fish
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/shilohhole.jpg

So yes it shows fish in the SI and off to the side as well as below the boat. Below the boat is what most people will not use the SI for. But I run it and see better with it under the boat then others do with a 2-D unit.
    Heres a log on Both Si and 2-D and shows well what it looks like on both.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/Sidescan/sidescantree01.jpg

Pete

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  7. swamplvr

swamplvr New Member

State:
    Western Mo
    On the Mo lakes forum I posted a link to a crappie meeting where they had a fella going over what you are seeing on your graph. You have to FF to around the 45min mark or more before he talks about it. Some of the SI views he has are phenominal. I have been on a boat once when they used SI, I know on my next boat it will be a requirement no matter what I am fishing for.

8. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Just thought I'd throw my 1.5 cents in, although I can only repeat what everyone else has said. I bought my 997 si the day they got to BassPro and have never regretted it. Until then I used a Lowrance lms-330c and that was great too. However, I will not go back to traditional 2d anytime soon if I can help it. I can't tell you how many times I have used it to locate and catch fish off to the side or down a fence row that would hae taken hours to find. Or to swing along a bridge of crappie guys and find the pillar that is loaded, pull up and start slaying'em. Spoonbill do show, but not like what I originally expected; same with catfish. The unit is definitely worth the cash, especially over the 797, not sure about the 1197 as far as worth the extra cost for a few more inches of screen, but it is great to look at while at the store.