Shutes Branch

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Greasy Ham, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Trying here tonight. Leaving in about an hour. Report to follow.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck..Try in the park across from the island..If you go down by the bridge on the point and throw a jig you may be able to catch a skip or two..Wish I could come out there but can't make it..May fish tomorrow though..

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Fish there all the time. Go below that bridge for bait & the cats man.. Ive tried the parking lot at the sloped bank theres just a lot of bait stealers over there.:sad2::wink: Good luck bring us back a report.

4. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I did ok last night. A few keepers between 2 and 5 pounds. Had two whales break my line. (15 lb test) Man those definitely had the blood pumping. I had the shakes afterwards on both of them. Drag has been set since then!
    I fished directly across from the island. I didn't see your post about that until I came back, but that is where I fished. I was at the little turnaround on the opposite side of the ramp facing the island.
    I liked fishing here and will go back. It is much closer to me than the place in gallatin we all met at.

I also went to the dam on friday about 4 o'clock and left at dark. I caught a 5 and an 8 pound fish there.

I'd say the bite is picking up.

I may try the same next week. Dam friday and Shutes saturday.

Labor day weekend I'm going to spend all weekend camping and fishing the Duck river in shelbyville. It's a family thing that we have been doing since the 1930's. There's many a good story about that river and around it that are told around the campfire.
    This river is what got me started catfishing when I was a little boy and I really look forward to that.

5. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm going out there tonight..I'll usually go over by the bridge to catch some bait then move across from the island when the sun goes down..Usually catch some flatheads around the island..

6. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    You all in a boat or on the bank?

7. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm bank bound but hopefully not for long..Got someone gonna take a look @ my motor in the next couple weeks and see if we can get her running again..

8. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Banks for me. Im gonna try and make it down to shutes with Les tonight.

9. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    How late do you normally stay out? I live not 5min from there. I have a meeting to attend tonight at 6. Hope to be done by 9 or 10.

10. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually do till around 9 or so.

11. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    If I get out of my meeting early I will come down there. I will be in a loud chevy.

12. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I'll be back next saturday around 7:30 for sure. But can't get out there again tonight. The bite is good. I think this cool spell livened them up.

13. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    I lost count as to how many I caught but I would say it was at least 8 fish.The biggest was 4-5 lbs and caught a nice drum that went about 5 lbs too..I'll post some pics later..I missed a lot of fish too..I was getting bites all night..I was fishing with creek chubs carolina rigged on the bottom..I fished right across from the island but caught 2 when I first got there over by the parking lot..Its the best I've done out there in a while..I may go next Sat. too Jeff..

14. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Sounds like I was Jonah :sad2:. Lol. Glad to hear they are biting. There is a chance I could make it out on Friday somewhere, but I'll be in Bowling Green all day and evening Saturday.

15. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I can't find the darn cable for the camera to upload the the dang pics..I'll get em up soon though,maybe the ole lady knows where its at..AJ got in on all the pics he was my net man..I even showed him how to catch bait with the cast net..Not to be bragadocious but everybody I was fishing with got skunked..Its odd how that happens sometimes..Forgot to mention also got to meet Mr. John aka cattracker..Nice gentleman there and appretiate you hanging out and wetting a line with us..Also I've been kinda hard on here about law enforcement and everything but gotta give a big thumbs up to them this time for coming out last night and patrolling the area..The deputy even got out of his car and came down and chatted with us and I extended my thanks to them..

16. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee

Yep thats the best thing to do in these times. They truly appreciate it. And yes :smile2: I was holdin' every one of Les' fish last night.. which made me wish more I had caught em.. But yeah me and James got skunked didnt catch any but got a few bites. I as well met John.. hes a great fisherman and appreciate him coming down to fish. Would love to get back out there again next sunday if anyones avaliable, Let me know. Had a blast! :wink:

17. MOCatdaddy

MOCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad to hear you caught some fish Les, :smile2: my son cant hardly get bites on anything. He's always wanted to learn up on how to use a castnet.. thanks for teaching him.:wink:

18. MOCatdaddy

MOCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always fish the banks. I wish I still had my boat but times got tough and I had to sell her. It was a Glassmate 17' blue & white with rodholders.. a pioneer stereo system, depthfinder etc. :cool2:

19. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wish one of y'all had caught the fishes that snapped my line!
    I am going back "til I catch that sucker!

20. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah i'm definitely goin' back. I'm gonna try and go to a creek behind my grandmas house and with a castnet and try to scoop out some creek chubs like Les did and use them.. they were definitely what the fish wanted last night. Hope to see ya around Jeff.