Shroud, Resin/Epxoy/glue or what?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SubnetZero, Apr 24, 2008.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Last trip out, I went to pull the motor up to pull out and the back cover lock must have been loose.. It resulted in the front lock getting ripped off (and sending me flying into the boat :embarassed: ...

Anyways, I am needing some suggestions on what I should use to fix it. It appears to be a fiberglass, though I guess it could be a high strength plastic. Its a 98 Johnson 25hp ...Attached are pics

Attached Files:

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    one more picture

Attached Files:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Im starting to think I may be able to just JB weld it.. That stuff works really well and I think would do it.. Thoughts ?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    JBweld won't hold on that but marine tex might just do it or use some expoxy mixed with some fiber and cloth If I was redoing it I most likely would do a rough looking job with expoxy but it would hold.:wink: You need to see if you can get hold of Mark J on here he is proably the one most likely know what to do and do it right. What ever you do post the results here as I would be interested in this repair myself.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If it's like mine it is made with a fibrous material.
    Using something with some viscosity to it will give alot better repair because it will flow around and into the fiber creating a better mechanical bond.

Hard to say how I would approach it without it being in front of me but I would lean towards a repair with epoxy and strips of glass cloth.
    Not glass mat.
    Not a real heavy cloth because it becomes bulky. Maybe some 4 oz.

Sand the finish off all the way down to the substrate before attempting the repair to get that bond.

You can go to marine supply store and buy small amounts of epoxy usually and some cloth. Get a small quantity of cabosil or wood dust to slightly thicken the epoxy into something about the consistency of a good ketchup for the intial bonding the pieces together. For using the cloth when the repair has dried use straight epoxy. Pre coat the surface and let it set atleast once then come back and wet it again and lay the glass. Work the epoxy into the glass until the glass becomes transparent. When your repair is complete and if you have some flat surface to work with on the part You could always splint the repair over the top of your glass. Preferably Do this repair on the inside not the outside.

I would stick with the 2-1 epoxy for its ease of use. 5-1 is real easy to screw the mix up.

That repair should be relatively simple.

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Weather finally broke enough to let me get out and work on this...

I ran up to the local boat shop and they sold me a syringe of "Star Brite General purpose 5 minute Epoxy" .... It sets in 5 minutes, cures in 24 hours.. Rated at 1000 psi... Its a two tube syringe that you just push one plunger to spit out equal amounts of the two parts. then you just mix together until its uniform...

Seems to have done the trick, have to see how it holds up.. Luckily, its the front clasp and it isn't really "load bearing" for anything... Should be fine.. Real easy fix actually...

If this does not work, I will take Mark's Suggestion and go pick up the cloth and some better epoxy. I really appreciate the advice