Shrimp???

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by IaCAT, Jul 2, 2008.

1. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been reading on this site for a week or so now, I just joined a few days ago though. I've been trying shrimp lately as it seems to be a hot item around here. I've gone out of 4 trips and had no luck on it. I normally use two poles, one baited with liver or doughbait and the other with shrimp. I've only had one good strike on the shrimp, no fish though.

I even marinated half in garlic powder and still no results. Are you guys using the whole shrimp? I believe I have them on a 4/0. I can't remember off of the top of my head right now.

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Welcome to the BOC. I'm not a shrimp fisherman, but there are some on here that swear by it.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont use shrimp much any more but when i used it i peeled the hull off and done good on channels and small blues ive even caught some decent flatheads on it.just put it where theres fish and they will bite it.i would go to a 2/0 hook tho.

4. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'll down size on the hook. I pull the outer shell/tail off. I'm gonna hit up the lake tomorrow and see if I can get something on it. Got to love paid holidays!

Did you use the entire shrimp? Will it fit on a 2/0?

5. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Use fresh raw shrimp with the head on, peel just the shell around the head off to slowly release the scent.

6. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Can anyone post a pic on how one should hook the shrimp?

7. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    One of my favorite baits is soaking shrimp in vanilla over night and then peeling the head and shell off and using it. I usually catch several good eating size cats. I use a size 1 Eagle Claw hook and thread the shrimp from one end to the other on the hook.

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I use a large J-hook or a kahle hook and thread two or three fresh, peeled shrimp like you would a nightcrawler, expensive but affective

9. Techno2000

Techno2000 New Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    Hold the shrimp upside down (Head down)start to thread the hook at the top
    inside tail and work the hook down to the head and out the Head.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i hear alot of guys catching them on shrimp. i on the other hand have tried it. and wasted my $. never caught a fish on one.

11. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    I have heard alot of guys say that shrimp are good because they are alot like crawdads. Me personally I would rather just use crawdads. They are not as easy to come by here in FL as they where in KY but I can get ahold of some here and there. Anyways, I always just cut my shrimp in half. Then I just thread them on a 2-3/o j hook. I do not take the shells off cause where I fish the smaller fish love the shrimp too and If I take the shells off then it is too easy for them to pick off the hook. Good luck, try some cut bait. some sucker, or shad, or even bluegill work good. As long as it is fresh it will normally out preform most other baits. That is my experience.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats my bait of choice for channels but I wont spend 6-7- dollars a pound on them. I'm in good with the butchers at my local store and they will either give me some or charge me .99 a pound for the bad ones there gonna dump.

13. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going out tomorrow to see if I can get some cats on the river. I'm not gonna give up on the shrimp yet.

14. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I know a guy that uses shrimp all the time and has tons of luck with it but he also sprays it with wd-40 after he puts it on the hook......good luck:0a26:

15. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Bait shrimp, chicken livers, dip baits, dough baits, shad guts are baits I usually use (not all at once) when I need to see some action while fishing for bigger fish, they will usually be used on a zebco 33 or something because I usually don't catch big fish on them. I will probably get far more bites on these types of baits, but I'll catch much bigger fish using fresh shad. Sometimes it's nice just to be catching something, or just see the rod tip move. Good Luck
    :big_smile:

16. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I buy bagged frozen shrimp from the grocery store , only take as much as you think you will need ,leave the rest in the freezer , I will only try to refreeze once then throw it away and get out a new batch. As far as hooking them , I use a circle hook appropriate with the size of the shrimp. If you thread the hook with the contour of the shrimp it will curve right around with shrimp .... leave the hook exposed.
    Brian

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The baitshops around here sell shrimp that are packaged in a small 1 lb box, about 3.00 they are the smaller ones that are swept up after they fall on the deck. these are not normal eating type shrimp,They stink to high heaven!! as for using other types for bait,I'd rather eat 7.99 lb shrimp than throw it away as bait.