Shrimp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tncatfishing, Dec 13, 2007.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Just wanted to see how others use shrimp. The few times that I have, I soaked them in vanilla extract and alot of garlic powder. When I used this it was pretty cold out and caught something when nothing else would. The shrimp stayed on the hook pretty good, and smelled very strong maybe I let them marinate too long. Gonna try alot of different baits this year and next.:wink:

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Mark, there have been several threads in the past regarding shrimp - it's one of those baits that many people use or have tried at one time or another. I believe that the consensus is that shrimp often works well on eater-size cats 2# - 5#, but that larger fish go more for cut bait. So if all you're looking for is a bunch of small cats, shrimp can be a good bait. I like to use it now & then, and just take it right outta the bag and put in on the hook shell & all. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :big_smile:

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I know it has been talked about in the past so has most things on here, but maybe sombody might have something new to add thats all.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    ive caught channel's up to 5lbs. on shrimp but nothin much bigger than that. i believe the big fish want cut bait or evern better, live bait.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Biggest I caught with shrimp was an eight pound blue.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I take my shrimp and dip them in egg batter, then roll them in Andy's fish and shrimp batter. Then into the hot oil. They sure are good. I fish with fresh cutbait.:confused2:

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I use shrimp almost ever outing. I catch 90% of my channels on it. The largest I have caught on shrimp is my PB channel at 32 inches. Darn scale was broken and I did not want to put it in the live well for hours just to weigh it.
    I do mostly catch smaller eaters on shrimp but every now and again I catch a nice one on shrimp. Shrimp has saved me from being skunked on a many fishing trips.
    I use medium to large size raw shrimp. I peel them before I put the hook through them. I think with the shell off it helps get the scent into the water better.:roll_eyes: That may just be in my head but it works for me. I have tried on the same trip, shell on and shell off and the shell off get three times as many bites.
    The fresher the better and I keep it changed often if I am not getting a lot of bites. This is more important in warmer water temps than it is this time of year. If the shrimp really stinks or has sat out longer than it should I do not do as well as I do if it is quality freash shrimp.:big_smile:
    I have had great luck with shrimp on South Holston and Cherokee lake in TN.

Thanks
    David

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Looks like I'm going to be giving shrimp a try. Some time back I ran across a deal where I could buy 1/2# containers of shrimp cocktail for $.50 each. The reason it was so cheap is that it was labeled as 'shrimp in cocktail sacue', when it was actually shrimp in plain water. I bought like 25#-30# of it and put it in the freezer. After quite a few meals of shrimp, the freezer got accidentally unplugged, and everything, including the shrimp, thawed out. We could eat only so much before it would go bad, so a good bit of shrimp got put back into the freezer as catfish bait. Sure would like to have several limits of eating size fish right now. I'm out.

9. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I cain't remember 'zactly, but my largest cat on shrimp is somewhere between 8# - 11#, but mostly 1# - 3#, and 99% channels. And now and then the occasional white perch.

10. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Jerry, I bet that you could hop over to Horseshoe Lake right now with those shrimp and easily fill up a cooler of eaters. Might get a crappie or 2 as well :big_smile:

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Jerry are those shrimp already cooked? If so they might be worth a try but I have never had any luck on cooked shrimp. I think the cooking process removes most of the juices that the kitty's like. Whatever that might be.:big_smile:
    Let us know how it would out for you when you try them.
    I have only had luck on raw shrimp.
    I know what you mean about some fillets in the bag to eat. We ate our last fillets the other night. Man I need to go fishing, I had a pretty good supply a few months ago.:smile2::sad2::eek:oooh:

Thanks
    David

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use whole raw shrimp, I get them from bad ones from the butcher for like 50 cents a pound. I just keep refreezing them, they seem to get better with age. Also I put garlic powder on them.

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive always had good results with shrimp,and have caught some 10# or better.Thats one of several baits i dont leave the house without,the other being cured liver.I will say for some reason, at least around here, you can go to one lake and catch cats on it all day another lake they wont even sniff it.I dont know how it is with you guys but a few places i go i might as well leave the shrimp at home because they just flat wont bite on it at that location.But at the others you would be crazy to leave it at home because they will destroy it there.Strange huh?

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've used shrimp quite often. It does catch the crap out of the channel cats, and in my opinion big ones will take if if you put it in front of them. We've caught them over 20#'s on shrimp. I haven't personally, but people with me have caught quite a few flatheads on shrimp as well. I use the freshest shrimp possible(I work at a fish house:wink:). If you're using J-hooks I think you can get away with using the shell, however, it you're using circles I would cut a whole shrimp into about 3-4 pieces and thread them on the hook. Seems to give a better hook up. Also if you're using shrimp that are 21-25's or larger use a 6/0. Hope that some of this helps.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    36-40's on a 4/0 circle is what I use. PB is 9.5 channel with that.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The shrimp I've got are already cooked, so I don't know how well they will work. I've only used shrimp in saltwater, and they were always raw or live.

17. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been thinking about trying shrimp because during the summer I was out in Party Cove on Percy Priest Lake and I was just hanging out with some family and friends and they threw the shrimp shells into the water and bait fish came up and got it and their was a lot of them. You could be the water and have them swim right around you. They were to fast to catch by hand, but if you can get them that close and throw a net you could have a lot of baitfish to fish with.

18. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I used to buy raw frozen bait shrimp around here several years ago.
    Can't find them anymore.
    Seems all the grocery stores have changed trying to compete with wal mart.
    Anyway I had pretty good results with them as fish bait.
    Shhh don't tell anyone but they make a great mink bait also.
    the best to ya
    just

Anyone have them shipped in from the south?
    I wonder what it would cost to have 10 pounds or so shipped to Iowa.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Generally speaking, the real thing will produce better than an imitation, but if you can't get the real thing, a substitute may be your only option. I have successfully used the shrimp flavoring from Ramen noodles to flavor chitlings, which are cheap and stay on the hook very well. I also used garlic & anise. Each seemed to work as well as the other. Sometimes, nothing else seemed to work; at other times, few or no bites. As I always say, nothing will work all the time, in all the places.

20. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I find my whole, raw, shelled shrimp with the heads and everything left on is at the oriental store. In Nebraska I am able to buy twenty pounds for about $35. It has always been a good bait for me.