Shrimp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by grillking, Jul 16, 2007.

1. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    When you use shrimp, is it raw or cooked? Do you marinate it? I've heard of people using garlic and vanilla before. ANY input appreciated.:big_smile_2:

2. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    raw shrimp is the peffered choice, as far as the marinade... i have tried vanillia extract with no luck but then again i have only tried it once, i could try it again sometime i guess, i usually dip my shrimp in a dip bait

:0a26:

3. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I HAVE USED SHRIMP WITH VANILLIA EXTARCT ON MY HOME LAKE AND IT BEAT REGULAR SHRIMP 3 TO 1

4. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i use shrimp all the time and have found raw shrimp dipped in garlic butter works best. i will also leave the shrimp out on a piece of cardboard too to stiffen it up and it helps just like liver. i try to get the nice size jumbo shrimp at the store . i have also had luck with dipping my shrimp into danny kings punch bait and the tossin it out there as well. just enough to get a lil scent on it. although i have caught some nice cats on just plain jane shrimp as well

5. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    what a great idea

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I use a garlic powder, sprinkled on as I pack em up in small containers, then back in the freezer. As they thaw, they seem to pick up the garlic. I do better with garlic than plain. Raw, shell on.

7. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Just regular shrimp for me.
    Sometimes if I find a deal I will freeze them in bags, enough for a fishing trip.

8. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gotta agree with Gary on this. Uncooked shrimp in the shell heavily salted with garlic salt and allowed to set overnight. If you have any left over at the end of the day just bag it and drop it back in the freezer for the next trip. My expreience this spring is that the shrimp prepared like that is better than shad.

9. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    I HAVE ALSO MARINATED SHRIMP IN WD-40 IT WORKS PRETTY WELL.IT WILL LEAVE A GOOD OIL SLICK ON THE WATER AND THEY WILL COME.

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I like to peel it and then batter and fry it. Then just eat it myself.

11. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    BAJACOOP-I WILL HAVE TO SAY THEY R PRETTY GOOD FRIED,GRILLED,OR ABOUT ANY WAY U FIX EM!!!!!!!!!!!!:haha::hungry:

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Try it with Anise slightly spoiled this works the best for me. You can tell its starting to get spoiled as it gets this pinkish color to it almost like it is cooked. Make sure to bring some Anti-Bacterial hand cleaner though....lol:wink:

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I've used raw shrimp, both plain and soaked in vanilla. I usually keep both because one night they want it plain, and the next vanilla. It always seems to be one or the other--not both. I also do better on people shrimp, rather than the scrawny fishbait kind.

14. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    would rather have my shrimp swimmin in crisco than lake or river water.

15. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    I was curious if anyone has added both garlic and vanilla to shrimp? Or is it better to have one or the other or just plain-shell on? Thanks.

16. Techno2000

Techno2000 Member

State:
    New Orleans,LA
    I use just plain fresh Shrimp and leave the shell on the body, but peel the shell off around the Head(don't pull the Head off it has a lot of scent) to make it easy for them to swallow. :big_smile:

17. SteveSm

SteveSm New Member

State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    I have been using shrimp for quite a few years now and just last year I found that the spray on catfish attractant from Wal Mart is the best for where I fish. It is the red colored liquid and is found with the bass and game fish attractants in sporting goods. I will stop at Wal Mart and buy a large tray of raw shrimp and I keep 1 gallon freezer bags in my truck which after I get back to the truck I put the shrimp into a freezer bag and then spray liberally with the catfish attractant. Close the bag then mix well and set behind seat to help with thawing of shrimp and getting the attractant mixed in well. The first time using this it seems to be a lttle less effective than the times following so in between uses I put it into the freezer and reuse multiple times till gone. Plain shrimp did not bring about much luck for me so I tried many different ways and this has proven to be my best yet. I tried the vanilla marinate and it did not do much for getting fish until I sprayed in some of the catfish attractant.

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've caught many a channel cat on shrimp, and some of my friends have even caught flatheads on them and we just use them fresh with no scent at all. Don't get the frozen bait shrimp, get the good stuff from a seafood market or at least the grocery store. It'll cost more but it's better bait. Just leave the shell on and for some reason I've had more luck with circle hooks on shrimp. Just thread them on and up the line a little from head to tail.

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Use that crap in Fl waters and Fl Fish & Game will come as well but they will be there to take your @SS to jail!

Dude that's about the worse thing you could tell ppl to use,I don't care how many fish you catch with it. I can't understand why anyone would use stuff like that in the water,it's just as bad as pouring used motor oil in the rivers and lakes. Heres a tip for you -try to use skill to catch fish it's a hell of a lot better for the water.

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

I agree if your gonna use shrimp best to use live or fresh. No need to add scent to them fish like shrimp that smell like shrimp. One reason you do better with circle hooks with shrimp is the way the hook is shaped,shrimp on a circle hook look more like a swimming shrimp then they do on other hooks. .