Shrimp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Welk49, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Welk49

Welk49 New Member

State:
    Northern Indiana
    has anyone ever tried using shrimp as bait for cats, and had any luck?

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Yea, shrimp is always a good bait for catfish. However, it's kind of pricey, and bluegill/chubs/shad are free if you can catch them!:big_smile:

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    good here in calif, buy the uncooked w/shell still entact, i try it both ways when i go to various places, with the shell on then off, see what works better

oh and a mistake on my part when i first started using it, dont just put the whole thing on your hook, theyell just knock it off by stabing at it, i cut mine into 3xs or sometimes 4

goodluck

4. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Caught plenty of channel cats on shrimp. I like whole shrimp with the head and shell on.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yes this works for the cats its often my last resort if they are not hitting the shrimp they most likely are not bitting at all. (for the most part) You can buy a bag of frozen shrimp with about 20 medium shrimp for about 8 bucks. It has to be uncooked with the shell on.(the shell will help keep it on the hook longer). If you can go to an Asian supermarket you should be able to get your hands on those little baby shrimps they often use. Its is true they will try and knock it off run the hook thru the shrimp and thru the tail(thats where the holding power is at) or cut in half stick the hook thru it fold it and run the hook again a second time.

6. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    I use shrimp quite frequently. It is one of my old faithful baits. sometimes i sprinkle garlic powder on them. I have caught some ten pound channels on shrimp. they love it.
    best place i found to get them is at my local grocery store. country mart. in the back they have a freezer next to the meat case that contains T.V bait shrimp for $3.00 a box. good bait to use

good luck
    joe

7. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here in Missouri (near Kansas City) shrimp works pretty well. Caught a 26" channel cat on Friday evening using shrimp. Fish was released. While I use a variety of baits, some of the largest bluegill/green sunfish hybrids I have ever caught were also caught on shrimp. I get the shrimp from the 40-Woods bait shop near Blue Springs, Missouri.

Ralph

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i get mine in the fish section of walmart.about i lb.without head is only 4 bucks.these are eating shrimp fo people.

9. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i buy mine at krogers. kroger plus card custumer ,lol. i wont go with out it . for some odd reason its the only thing that the catfish ever bite on for me. i hused it all . except cut or live shad . used some this year , but the water was still really cold . i got them on acident practicing my cast net. but anyway . i get white raw shrimp 51- 60 count. its less expensive then the smaller bag. 25-30. always on sale. 3.99 or 4.99 a bag. for 60 shrimp . we pay almost 3 bucks for a dozen crawlers. and half the time i'm pist cause they are small horrible worms. i'm never happy with the worms around here . somtimes i get lucky and get a good dozen. but yeah i think shrimp is more cost effecient . and more productive for me . but one down side i see in shrimp. i have never but 2 times landed anything but a catfish on it . worms anything will eat a worm . so you got a better chance of catching something that night . oh another bad thing about it . the turtles lovem.they will tear you up in shrimp fast.

10. Animal

Animal New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have had more success this spring with shrimp than with any other bait so far. One thing I have noticed when using shrimp is one full shrimp, no head shell on I seem to get the 3 to 5 pound variety, but when I use 2 full shrimp at once I get the 9 to 12 pounders. Guess the old saying is true, Bigger bait, Bigger fish.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thats my main bait for channels. I get the rotten ones from the butcher for 99 cents a pound, raw 31-40's thats a great size. At least they make sumthing rather that dump them.

12. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use shrimp i get at a local farmimg/outdoor equiptment store that has hunting/fishing gear when its in season and live bait all year. its whole with the shell and head. about 4-5''s long. they also sell frozen cut shad, chick livers, worms, any kind of bait that needs frozen/refrigerated. i catch channels on it alot. never cought anything besides channels and gar on it though. but its one of my go to baits.

13. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    shrimp has been my tried and true bait for channels. Shell on, uncooked, run the hook up thru it, and make sure it's thru the tail to hold it on better. I too, am a kroger plus card holder, a bag of 40-50 medium can be as low as 4.99 if it's on sale

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    shrimp is one of the best catfish baits i have ever used...brought fish home when other people couldent catch a thing with other baits

15. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Shrimp is a great bait out here in central cali...... I can buy a pound of fresh shrimp 50 count for 3:47 a pound i put garlic salt on some and pure vanilla extract on the rest ...it is a killer bait for the canal's and resiviour's out here.

16. auctionman

auctionman New Member

State:
    pa
    If they don't hit them straight out of the bag try some flavoring like garlic powder or vanilla. I use cherry Jello to dye them overnight. The look of bleeding bait seems to help.

17. hossdaniels

hossdaniels New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sure, shrimp is great bait.