Shrimp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fishallday927, Apr 7, 2007.

1. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive fished with shrimp quite a few times last year and didnt catch anything over 6 pounds with it is it capable of cathiing bigger fish or should find bigger pieces please enlighten me on this subject

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    i caught fish well over six pounds last year off of normal fish market shrimp. its all about what fish are in the area. my best advice would be, don't limit yourself to only using shrimp as a bait. use different things like cutbait and stinkbait - all that stuff.

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have good success with shrimp the last few years. Have only used tiger shrimp, but have caught channels up to 12 lbs in many different areas.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have caught channel cat up to 20# on shrimp. There are days fish prefer one bait over another. Carry several types and let them show you what they prefer.:lol:

5. river_roach

river_roach New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I like to eat shrimp to much to fish with them.

6. Ahquabi_Master

State:
    WDM Iowa
    haha, thats how I feel about stinkbait. lol just kiddin'.

7. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    me and my uncle use it alot but you have too make it very stinky after it stunk we caught a pretty good sized cat but i dont no about you so thats all i can tell you

8. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i've only gotten 7 fish this year. all have been on raw shrimp. biggest was today 7 to 9 pounds

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I just decided to try shrimp this year. Have caught plenty of bullheads but only one small channel. Doesn't mean I'm giving up yet. A few more tries in a few more areas.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Guess its just my area,but I've only caught blues on shrimp...thats O.K.,channels for some reason don't get that big around here.Seems that shrimp work best when the waters running.

11. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have used shrimp several times and have caught plenty of fish over 10#. It just depends on what they want to eat at that time. Like everyone has said use plenty of different bait and find out what the big boys want to eat.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is it best to use shrimp fresh or let it go 'blinky' first? Shells on or off?

13. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    down in n. carolina shrimp works really good for the channels and blues

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    yesterday i went fishing with shrimp and cut bait it seem's like thye didnt want the cut or the shrimp intil i tried putt'n the both on the same hook i dont catch very many fish over 10lbs on shrimp

15. Ahquabi_Master

State:
    WDM Iowa
    To be honest, i think i've had more success when the shrimp is fresh. I keep the shells on and use a j-hook, sliding the hook all the way through to, letting it come out of the hard part of the tail- i think the shell helps in better keeping the shrimp on during a cast. As long as the hook is exposed, there should be few misses.

16. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Thanks Marcus, reps to ya.

17. CatfishUgly

CatfishUgly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The biggest channel that i have ever caught was just under 20 pounds. I caaught many in the teens with shrimp. I did catch a 25 pound blue last year and thats the only blue ive caught on shrimp, from my experience alot of the fish that I catch are around 8 pounds no matter what I am using.
    I have caght more channels on shrimp than any other bait out there.

18. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Last year was the first that we really ried shrimp and we done really well with it. frozen bait shrimp. Channels here love them.

19. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I've caught alot of big channels with shrimp.. My favorite way to present it is floating underneath a bobber right up next to a brush pile.. Can be pretty deadly....

20. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I've caught channels on shrimp. Sometimes it seems like they can't get enough of them. Other times seems like they won't touch em.