shrimp

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bottom_rig, Oct 5, 2005.

1. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    skimed the forums didnt see any mention of shrimp.
    me and friend were tipped off to using just ordinary shrimp early this year.
    now its our main bait. never fails almost every cat ive caught this year was on shrimp. just go to the store and get a half pound of medium shrimp...
    any one else had any success with shrimp?

2. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I have fished with shrimp for years. Here in central Texas Shrimp works good for Channels and Blues. Cut shad and perch work better and don't seem to be messed with by other trash as much as shrimp. One day a friend was having something kept kind of nibbling at his bait (shrimp) Thinking it was a turtle he said watch this I am going to break his neck, where upon het set the hook violently. It was an 8 lb yellow cat. :confused: In south Texas we use home made punch bait Shrimp is one of the ingredents. Down there they use Squid which is avaliable being closer to the coast. One day last fall we were having an unusally hard time finding and catching fish. One of the local fishing guides had a bunch of customers and they had just about limited out on small turkey weiners soaked overnight in Vanilla.

3. Bank Catter

Bank Catter New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Shrimp works here for blues and channels AND turtles! I normally buy a quarter pound of the farm raised shrimp from Wally World for about a buck. Works pretty good, but bacon and fresh cut bait works better here in this part of South Carolina (lakes).

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've heard alot of people talk about how great shrimp is for bait. I used it one time with no bites. I don't think it was a fair test though because we didn't have much luck on anything. I'll try it again soon. I think it probably works well.

5. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Shrimp are good bait here. Get the raw ones they can set out and stink some too.
    The other day all I could get were sort of big so I cut the big end off for myself. They are about the same price as crawlers. Another bait in the arsenal.

6. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    yeah they usually dont fail for us. we use the other stuff too nightcrawlers, cut bait etc. but the shrimp are the good ol stand by. it never fails. it may have something to do with the areas we fish too, alot of it is upper chesapeake bay and the rivers that feed it. and they do put out a hell of stink too.
    thanks for the input...

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes, often, cheaper than nightcrawlers, buy at wall mart 8 dollars for 2 pounds. Take them home and divide into bags of 10 or 12. The ones I use are raw with shell on and if fishing for channels I use half . They don't thaw and refreeze very well so the smaller bags work better. as soon as they thaw I put them on ice and keep them fresh.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I normally do not fish with shrimp but whan I have in the past I caught some numbers of channels on it. Also seen some times when the fish want shrimp more than worms. I guess it depends on the mood that they are in.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I grew up using shrimp and have caught literally thousands of channels on shrimp. The only bad part was that they were all in the 1-3 pound range. When I began pursuing larger cats I moved over to cut bait. For some reason it really seems to attract the bigger cats more than shrimp.

10. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've used shrimp with mixed results on the Ohio River. On the tidal James, we've been using it and it's been hard to keep the white perch, croaker, spot and even small stripers off of it. Cats don't get a chance! I always try to take some to get some spot or perch for cut bait, through.

11. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I use shrimp soaked in anise extract and a little sugar almost exclusivley now thanks to my bro. We drift with it here in Ohio on Hoover reservoir and it seems to work the best for channels compared to all other baits I have tried. We have lots of days where we catch up to 50 cats mostly between1 and 12 lbs.

12. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Shrimp often used here in Indiana. I can get if from nearly all bait shops in differnt kinds of flavor. Strawberry, BBQ, Garlic, Blood, Spicy, and a few others i cant remember. Strawberry and Garlic seem to work the best on pay lakes and ponds but not very well on the River. I used them last weekend and caught a few good eating cats and a 10lb snappin turtle that couldnt even fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have used shrimp before with some sucess. However this year it has proved to be the go to bait. Use fresh ones with the tail on prefabaly mid-size ones. Run the hook thru the tail thats where most of the holding power is. Leave the point of the hook exposed. As fishman pointed out they dont thaw and refreeze very well so just take out 8-10 of them in a zip-lock bag. I have caught small and large channels on shrimp. The ocassional white bass also strikes it. I never leave home without at least a few pieces of shrimp and nightcrawlers as these two baits work for me about 90% of the time when nothing else works.

14. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    here in oklahoma ive had alot of success with shrimp. My cousinconviced me of pelling the shell off the shimp before putting them on my circle hook. I think they attract more cats that way and the stay on the hook just the same. One disadvantage is the turtles. Last time I fished with shimp in the river I caught 2 softshell turtles for every cat. Compared to cut shad, I actually think shimp will get bites a little quicker. However the bites with shad are much more decisive and to the point.

15. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    You guys probably aren't going to believe this, but my brother caught a 52 pound flathead on a chicken liver and shrimp combo. The liver was sun cured with garlic salt and the shrimp was soaked in Jack Mackeral sauce, which you can buy at the grocery store. We were all sitting around talking and drinking and then all of the sudden we heard his reel start screaming! It hit like a ton of bricks! Good Luck Fishin Fellas!