Shrimp

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by jklm, Jul 24, 2006.

1. jklm

jklm New Member

State:
    la.
    i have been able to sometimes get some shrimp that went south and is nice and ripe trying to keep on the hook has been a challenge seems to fall off real eary any idea's to keep rotten shrimp on hooks thanks

2. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i used to use "aged" shrimp. Meanin i would leave it out in the sun for a day then hit the water at night.

Since then...i just use fresh shrimp. It doesn't stink....it doesn't piss off your neighbors..lol. fresh shrimp works real well..i buy it partially frozen at the local grocery...keep it on ice throughout the day/night..then if i'm not gonna go fishin in a while...i cook the shrimp in butter and garlic, Yum! :smile2:

cyas
    rc

3. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always soak my shrimp in vanilla extract and garlic salt. LOTS of garlic salt. Never have a problem with it coming off of my hook and it has a really nice aroma. Hope this helps.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv only used it once with out any good results but i will say this dont leave it in yer brothers boat he will never let you live it down

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

fresh is best. If you can keep it cold it will help it stay firm. also leave the shell on the shrimp that will also help.

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Use fresh , thread it onyour hook head end first leave the hook exposed along the side of the shrimp .
    Brian

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've tried rotten shrimp next to fresh shrimp and have caught more on fresh, but rotten did work. Using a baitholder hook worked best for holding the shrimp on securely. I would start at the head; hooking it through the body and having it come out at one of the hard parts of tail's shell. I rarely lost the shrimp this way and had a blast setting the hook! Hope it helps.

8. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well ive never used it but sounds a lot like liver. buy some cheap panty hose cut a chunk off drop the shrimp in making sure both sides are tied in a knot then run your hook through it.

9. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Since fresh works I would stay away from the old stinky stuff! No need to subject yourslef to punishment uneccesarily and then it will keep on the hook better!

10. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have been using shrimp fresh and rotten and have caught channel every time I go. the shrimp has out performed shad sides, minnows,and dough bait so far this year

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    best shrimp for me is White Tiger Shrimp buahjt at the local store.. with the shell on.. ( it seems to keep all the juices and oil.. Desheel it as you use it and the channels and blues even flats seem to like it