Shrimp?!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by HuntinFerChannels, Apr 25, 2006.

1. HuntinFerChannels

HuntinFerChannels New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah shrimp one time fishin the Fox river in North central Illinois an old and what turned out to be a very wise man laughed at my cut baits dough baits and everything else i had in my box and rightfully so i had no fish on my stringer he had caught four nice flatheads about 15 lbs each so being young and eager to learn a secret or two i asked him what he was doin that was so special he laughed and threw me what he had left of a shrimp basket with sauce i jokingly told him i wasent hungry he laughed and told me shut up and give it a try and within twenty minutes i had my first flathead on it was kinda cute too about six pounds i have also had tremedous luck fishing channels with shrimp too im talking whole in shell shrimp i fish it under a 8 in. bobber when in a pond or lake but in moving water carolina riged

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Yeah, alot of guys around my home waters laugh at me for using shrimp. But on slow nights it can be the only thing i can catch. I have placed in several tournements b/c the bite was incredibly slow and i'll move into a little creek and catch my 5 fish (little channels) in there. But i would suggest crawdads over shrimp. That is what you are imitating in most systems with shrimp. I seem to catch more fish on fresh caught, lively crawdads. I rip their pinchers off and hook them through the meat in their tail.

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i use shrimp all the time plain, soaked in vanilla or even cherry koolaid.:)

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have fished with shrimp the last 15 years for cats. I got a new pack at walley world a few nights ago and they are in the vanilla soaking now.:)

5. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I scent my shrimp with anise oil, which I buy at Walmart. It is a great channel cat bait. I caught more than 50 this past weekend in 3 trips.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    hey dont waste shrimp! ill eat it! i love shrimp!

lol shrimp is a great bait, i dont know how great for flattheads but deffinitly for channels.

7. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Discovered Shrimp For Bait This Year & I've Caught Fish With It. I'd Tried It Before W/no Success, But This Year I've Been Doing Good W/it, Haven't Tried It W/vanilla Or Anise Oil Yet But I'll Give It A Try.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I must be doing something wrong, when I dont have time to catch bait, I have tried shrimp several times and got zero hits.

9. HuntinFerChannels

HuntinFerChannels New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanx fer all the feedback guys soaking in vanilla huh like vanilla extract u mean or something different thanx yall good fishin

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think it depends on where you are fishing. When I lived in the DC area and fished the Potomac, shrimp did great. Here on the upper James River I've tried them several times and never got one hit. Go Figure!

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hey Jake, the Fox is loaded with catfish, I hope you still fish it, it's one of my favorite rivers to fish. I only get there about 2 or 3 times a year while visiting family up there, but we can pretty much catch catfish on anything. Lots of big channels and flatheads, and if they aren't biting we target the submarine sized carp in there. There's a lot of good old Russian guys that fish the parks along the river and you can sure learn a lot by just fishing close to them when it comes to carp.

12. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Caught 3 lb channel and 2lb channel on shrimp

13. adeeden

adeeden New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shrimp is my primary spring time bait for channels around here, ocasionaly it will pick up a small flat head as well. The shrimp bite seems to slow down as soon as the water gets warm and then i go to fresh cut shad.

14. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    can't say about flatheads, but i have had good luck using shrimp for channels. i soak them in chopped, fresh garlic for a day or two before using. i know a lot of guys allow them to sour, but i have had better luck when i have kept them fresh in my fridge. i rig them on the bottom, as well as under a float. as a matter of fact last week i caught 6 channels on the garlic shrimp.

because i only soak them for a day or two, the tend to wash out after 30 minutes or so. to help with this i recycle them. when they lose their scent, i re-bait with a fresh one and put the old one back into the soaking cup. a dozen shrimp lasts me the everytime, and i usually end up throwing some away. since i get them for free, i'm not out anything if i pitch a few.