Shrimp

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by SURFPREP, Jul 21, 2009.

1. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Do you peel raw shrimp before you hook it?

2. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i leave the shell on.

3. newarkcatman

newarkcatman New Member

State:
    lickin,hanover
    i leave it on also:big_smile:

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Shell on . when you buy pre-cooked frozen they shell it for you convienance .

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i use fresh an i always take the shell off myself ,i think it releases the smell better that way :wink:

6. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    It depends for me. I know it's only a little difference, but if the bite is slow or they're just not sticking with it, any little factor such as that...
    I'll peel the shrimp and remove the tail. This does at times make a pretty significant difference.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Either way seems to work for me. Most of the time I leave it on. I think the "must" is the soaken time in the garlic. Plenty of garlic over night.

8. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I leave the shell on:wink:

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If I use shrimp I peel them. I think it lets the oils and smell out faster.JMO

10. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Overall I think Shrimp is one of the better baits out there. It stays on the hook relatively well, and catches about anything. I've seen a 31# blue caught on shrimp, and seen a shovelhead that was... "HUGE!" break 40# test after about a 10 minute fight that picked up a piece of shrimp.
    Catch a lot of the tasty eaters on shrimp too :smile2:

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont shell mine....just depends whats on sale at walmart if the shells on are cheaper i use them if preshelled are cheaper i use them...

i do usually add a leach or a night crawler to them though....i think this really helps

12. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I keep the shell on and prefer that they have not been devained. I think it helps keep the bait on

13. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I buy mine from walmart. Frozen Jumbo peeled w/out head in a resealable package. Take out as many as ya need. And I learned from the BOC to soak 'em in some garlic, which I do in a glad lock container. Smells good enough to eat afterwards:smile2:

14. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    :smile2:i do use shrimp for channel eaters but thats all i use them for

15. MoDamselfly

MoDamselfly New Member

State:
    Mo
    Depends on how the bite is. We start out with shell off with a leach added. I like that set up when bottom bouncing. :big_smile:

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    peeled , split and soaked with a pak of cherry/strawberry kool-aid stick half on #3-4 gama-octopus; tipped with a half nightcrawler. Channels love-em.

Fresh water prawns cut into 3/4"chunks on a #3 gama octopus have proven themselves to me, to be way better than shrimp when it comes to catching the cats, I think it has something to do with the fresh water they are raise in and smelling more like the fresh water crawfish, than a saltwater shrimp. Just my theory..:big_smile:

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i'd say your right i dont fish with shrimp all that much because i target the big boys. but ill try it next time i go fishing for the eaters.....