shrimp w circle hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Trulife, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Trulife

Trulife New Member

State:
    ID
    whats the best way to bait you medium raw shrimp on a circle hook? never fished it before. also..peel the shell or no?

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I usually go through the sides of the shell. They seem to stay on the hook better and the fish dont seem to mind if the shell is there:wink:

3. Trulife

Trulife New Member

State:
    ID
    i want to fish 2 hooks and have the weight at the bottom. Can I use a circle hook on top and bottom? I read somewhere that you dont want to use both circle hooks when fishing this way. also how much space should be between bottom hook and the weight underneath it..just a few inches?
    Thanks for the reply

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    On your top hook I would do a very short 3-4 inch leader. I cant see why it wouldnt work. The length between last hook and sinker is totally up to you. I would suggest trying different lengths thus altering the fishing depth a bit to see what gets the best results. Good luck!

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I leave the shells on and I even caught a baby flathead on it:smile2:

6. Trulife

Trulife New Member

State:
    ID
    thanks for the pointers. I went out last night and nothing seem to work. I have a hard time feeling and knowing when a fish is bitting in our river when Im using 3/4 oz weight or bigger. So I threw on a split shot and fished the bank line with worm..caught a few suckers and netted there guts. 5 minutes later im fighting a channel cat.

7. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    peeled shrimp that are frozen I just tread them on my hook works for me

8. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I get medium sized frozen shrimp with tail but no shell. I soak them in two different solutions.

1. Canola Oil and fresh minced garlic left outside for a a day in sealed Tupperware.
    2. Canola Oil and vanilla extract left outside for a day in sealed Tupperware.
    I don't think the shrimp with shells would soak up the above flavors as well as shrimp with no shell.

My best friend and I landed a 100 plus channels last Friday with the the above recipes.

9. Quackshutr

Quackshutr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma, Collinsville
    We just thread it on the hook, out the belly or out the back. Both seem to work,,shell on.

Q

10. rustystinkbaitrules

rustystinkbaitrules New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i use a size 2\0 baitholder hook and peel the shrimp and thread it on like a worm.

I also dip it in rustys dip bait