Shrimp Tip!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Rottdog, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello everyone, I just wanted to let those of you that like to fish with shrimp know, that alot of supermarkets will actually give you expired shrimp for free or at a tremendous discount. I found a couple that have given me as much as I wanted. As long as they know your not going to eat it they usually don't mind since they are going to throw it away anyway.

Just thought I would pass that on to you all,
    Garrett

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've always wondered if stores other than the one I've tried to get expired shrimp from would do that. Now that you're done it, I'm gonna go ask around now. Thanks!

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a good tip.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Garrett thanks for sharing . I've been able to get it free also. A cheep bait that really works.:big_smile:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a good tip.

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I never thought about that. Thanks for the info.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thanks dog. I also noticed that the pale shrimp (wild) usually outproduce the tiger shrimp. Ive had both and it seems as though they prefer the whiiter ones

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Kroger won't give em to you.....I found a batch of limburger cheese expired this morning, and they wouldn't even reduce the price....My sister-in-law works at the store and she said they won't even let her buy it cheap.....Dwight

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Wal-mart is the same way.Their afraid you'll be dumb enough to eat it and then try to sue them...Not a bad idea.:big_smile: Just kidding/i'll check other smaller stores and try them.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I'm sure they will do it...I told my sister-in-law to check the dumpsters and get the cheese if it's safe.....Yeah, some people would eatem just to get a lawsuit....the ones I bought today was already spoiled....If they can sell em to us, why can't they give em to us.....I wonder how much a case of livers would cost???Dwight

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    LOL why would ya fish in a dumpster for expired cheese ? Even if it is for bait LOL

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great tip Garrett I,m sure going to ask:tounge_out:

13. Mudcatrick

Mudcatrick New Member

State:
    LA
    i have a friend that is a butcher at krogers , great tip, i will ask him about it, we go way back he might just do it

14. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Thanks for the tip i will have to give it a try

15. Biscuit

Biscuit New Member

State:
    Va
    ill have to give it a try also, i like using it with vanilla extract

16. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been doing this for years. It all depends on the Supermarket Chain. Some have more strict regulations on disposal than others. The best trick that I know how to encourage them is offer to sign a liability disclaimer stating that the seafood is to be used as catfishing baits only and not for human consumption. This time of year, you might also ask about their clams and muscles that work fairly well during the pre and post spawn time of year.

17. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    TeamWhisker's,

Now that's a great idea....

jerseycat,

I don't think I'm gonna be fishing in dumpersters for cheese....I would probably ask them to lay it beside the dumpster.....DemoMan

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I'm a butcher, but we don't sell fresh seafood, only frozen. I sell outdated weiners, and lunchmeat all the time though. CHEAP. I can't even get a discount on shrimp for myself. :(

19. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Good tip thanks for sharing.