Shrimp for Gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by rustyhook, Jun 16, 2006.

1. rustyhook

rustyhook New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Is shimp a good bait for Gar?? Me and a buddy fish everyday at lunch and try to catch Gar just for something to do.. This is new to me and could use any pointers there is.. How deep should we set our bait and should we use sinkers??

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Jeremy, welcome the the BOC!

I have used Shrimp a few times years ago fishing for Channel Cats on the bottom and caught 2 or 3 gar. But the best bait for them by far is a live Bream fished under a Bobber set at about 5-10 feet usually, depends on where you're fishing though. We go out a lot in the day and catch them for fun also, we always catch at least one on a live Bream.

Good luck!

3. rustyhook

rustyhook New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks.. Today we were using some mullet cut bait on circle hooks and we had a couple of hits.. I also had one hit on a white spinnerbait today.. Snapped my 10 lb test line like it was nothing.. Then I watched him swim around by us for the next hour with my spinner bait still in his mouth.. Guess he was just rubbing it in.. Any one have a picture they can post of the rope lure..

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, they will hit cut bait too, but live bait is just a lot better for them if you can get it. I've caught some on the bottom though with cut bait going for catfish. They are a little harder to hook on cut bait, but they swallow down a live bream more. Sorry to hear that you lost one like that.

5. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    i had 2 hits today on a yellow grub tail.. it was a pretty big gar.. had him on then he snapped my line =/..

6. rustyhook

rustyhook New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Lost a broke back Rapela today to a Gar.. Man those things are killin me..

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    One time I used squid that was reduced at the market and had set in the canoe a day or two and was catching big gar seems like shrimp would work with a little age

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was catfishing Saturday night / Sunday morning and had quite a bit of luck with gar. I was using 5" - 7" live shad about 1' - 2' from the bottom.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Around here shrimp will catch just about anything.

10. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    personally i think gar will eat anything a cat will eat. so you can try it if you want..personally i've only used shrimp for bait in saltwater so im kinda anxious to take them out to my cattin holes