Shrimp for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jaycat, Jul 15, 2006.

1. jaycat

jaycat New Member

State:
    Waterloo ,NY
    has any one ever used shrimp to catch chanels and flatheads? i would like to hear your feed back

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    First off welcome to the BOC. Shrimp is a good bait for chanels and for some blues but not sure how it would be for flats. A live bait is better for flats.

3. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Welcome to the BOC. Catch smaller channels mostly under 10lbs or so. Very seldom catch much of anything else except whites or bullheads and they will bite anything. If you are close to the coast in New York try to get your shrimp as fresh as possible. I usually get some right off the shrimp boat when I'm down at the beach. I always hear shrimp work better after they sit out in the sun and start to stink but IMHO they work for channels better fresh, and for sure unviened. Frozen in salt water with the heads off works o.k. as well. In other areas of the country they might work diffrent ways but this is my experience here ! The ones I have bought out of grocery stores haven't worked as well for me for some reason.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've done well on frozen shrimp from wal-mart, nothing over 6 lbs, but its all int the eating isn't it? I just buy a bag of medium brown shrimp for less than $5, its in a blue bag. Make sure it says raw. Its frozen, but the cats don't seem to mind. A really hungry flathead may take the bait, but I doubt it. Mostly, I catch channels.

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the ones from the grocery store, get raw unshelled frozen and keep them frozen until you use them. I keep mine on ice as I use them. They catch channels and blues, I have caught blues over 10 pounds on shrimp. I haven't caught a flathead on them but I have never caught a flathead on anything. I will be catching my first flathead tonight.

6. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO

Good luck, I hope its a XL one

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I have never caught a blue or flat on shrimp but me and my dad have caught dozons of trophy size cats on walmart shrimp.

You can buy the stuff that they couldnt sell and had to freeze for a fraction of the fresh or flash frozen prepackaged stuff and it works really good.

Here's a pic's to get you going!! lol

The ol man uses nothing but shrimp! Talk about OCD lol!!!

Attached Files:

8. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    Yep, Walmart shrimp. Great channel cat bait, especially early in the year here in Nebraska. I've caught a great number of 10-15 lb. channels on shrimp in the last two years. See the pictures below, a lot of them were caught on shrimp.

For flatties though, you are going to want some live bait.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    These have worked very good for me in the past for channels:

1.) take some fresh raw shrimp (peeled). Put in plastic container or freezer bag, add vanilla extract flavor just enough to coat the shrimp. Let it soak then its ready to put on the hook.

2.) take some fresh raw shrimp (peeled). Put in plastic container or freezer bag, add limburger cheese and garlic salt. Let it soak in the sun for a bit to softened up the cheese more. Ready for use.

Do not freeze either of the above. Never caught a flathead on shrimp yet. Good luck

10. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the boc, jay. i have caught some channels with shrimp. i use live bait to go after flatheads.

11. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like shrimp for catfish but its a little costly to use very much.:smile2:

12. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Doyle my dad use to think the same way but then I appealed to his bookkeepers mentality and told him to break down the cost of shrimp to the cost of walmart night crawlers. He came up with the cost about the same with less waste of the shrimp do to spoilage or non target fish taking the bait. I have only found one bait that is cheaper that works as good and that would be shad that you catch yourself.

13. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joe, I don't buy crawers either, If I cant pick them up.. I do with out.:big_smile:

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'm from the same area as catfishsteve, and people up there swear by frozen shrimp. I've tried it, and only caught some small channels.

SudDawg

15. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    I use shrimp in the hot summer months when I have a difficult time catching enough bluegill to bait up my bankpoles. The trouble I encounter seems to be that everything that swims in the small river I fish eats the shrimp. We baited up 20 poles the other evening - 3 with bluegill and 17 with shrimp. The next morning we had a 2.5 lb. flathead on one of the blue gill poles and a
    drum perch on a shrimp baited pole. All poles were stripped of bait. Just out of curiosity we rebaited all 20 poles with shrimp at 8 A.M. and ran them again at 11 A.M. We had one channel cat that went 2 lbs. and all the bait was gone on the other 19 poles. I get the feeling that something other than cats are stealing the bait off the hooks. We use 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks. I hate to use smaller hooks as we have had smaller trueturn hooks straightened out before. We catch flatheads in the 15 to 25 lb range, so I hate to go back to smaller hooks. I guess my question is this - are the hooks too big for smaller channels or do you agree with my thinking that other species are stealing the shrimp. I have good luck in ponds for catfish using shrimp, but the only species in the ponds are channels, bluegill, and bass..

16. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Same here. Shrimp is a good bait for channels, blues, and bullheads. I have only caught flatheads using live bait personally. The post about adding some vanilla, garlic, and limburger is a good trick. Anise oil, or immitation is also good on bait. Smells like licorice sticks candy, which will also catch a cat every now and again. Good fishin'. Jack.

17. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I've never had much luck using shrimp but have some friends who swear by it and they catch some small channel cats with it.

18. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    great cat bait got lots of channel's on it never used anything other then shrimp also have got a good number of flats 15lb and under on shrimp, gots to be uncooked- unpeeled and big

19. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    try using a 5/0 GamaKatsu Shiner hook SE, you can get em at wal-mart and i have had a lot of success with em. they will hook smaller fish and handle the big ones