Shrimp for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by sheldonc, May 20, 2009.

1. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have never fished with shrimp. However I notice in May when I catch catfish in Lake Ouachita they have a lot of little grass shrimp and worms in there stomach.

What kind of shrimp do you fish with. Is there a bait shrimp and where would you get it.

Thanks,

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I been wanting to shrimp for bait to.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Sheldon & Charles go to the fish market or grocery store , get the frestest nices shrimp u can get .heads on it u can thats the freshest keep it iced good to stay fresh ,what u don,t use for bait u can eat yourself.

If you want to soak some in garlic or what ever put it in another container that way you can still eat the fresh bait u have left over

4. Corndogg69

Corndogg69 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Our grocery stores 'round here stock TV brand bait shrimp. There is about 30 or so shrimp in each box. It is inexpensive, but you can't eat them when you are done. Only for fishing :smile2:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah shrimp works well you will find that on some waters they will wear shrimp out and you fish a different body and they wont touch it.Dont know why just how its always been for me,out of the places i go i could tell you when to take it and when to leave it at home.but most places seems to work really good.Make sure you get the raw it will be like a brown color you dont want the pink stuff thats already been cooked you will be wasting your money,you can buy them in bags or pre packaged contaners at the grocery.

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have used shrimp in the spring for channels when they come in to the rip rap to spawn. The TV brand works good.

7. rfriend

rfriend New Member

State:
    indiana
    hello i myself have had great luck w shrimp. walmart in frozen seafood or gander mountain both sell them:big_smile:

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Shrimp can work good in some palces and in some it does not.LOL kinda like alot of other baits.

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive tried rivers, feeder streams, and ponds and still havent caught anything off shrimp. I jus cant find any water where they like it, would soaking it in garlic or something else help?

10. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I very rarely get skunked when using shrimp, I think it is great bait. I use 60/80 raw with shell on, fresh from walmart sea food department.

11. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I use the frozen raw shrimp from wal-mart as well. However, I take the shell off and shake some garlic powder on them and let em' sit in the fridge for a couple days. I seem to notice quicker hits when I marinate em in the garlic powder. I also throw in a little non-iodized salt, this keeps em from getting too mushy.

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use regular old store bought unpeeled raw shrimp from the freezer section. I don't do jack to em just throw em in. Sometimes I use smaller pieces for catching bluegills and I seem to catch larger gills with shrimp. I have even caught the rare small flathead on shrimp. Last week I was out with cut shad and frozen shrimp and the shrimp was outfishing the shad 10:1. Nothing I caught was over 5LBs but they couldn't get enough of the shrimp for some reason.

13. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    use $6.00 + a puond bait to catch $3.00 a pound fish heck eat the shimp forget the fish.
    Loop

14. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've done good with Wal-Marts shrimp that is uncooked and has the shells on. I think a 50 pack was 5 bucks and caught some good 3-4 lb channels. Some good eating cats for sure.

15. barboot1

barboot1 New Member

State:
    WV
    We catch a good bit of channel cats on shrimp. I do soak mine in garlic powder and water in a container in the fridge for at least a day or so
    BK

16. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I buy uncooked or raw schrimp at my local Wally World grocery. They are frozen and come 60 to 80 per bag and costs about $5.39 a bag.

They work good for channels here and it eliminates the small carp, perch and fidlers that will drive you crazy when you use nite crawlers.

17. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i ahvent used shrimp in years but used to use the TV brand and i remember catching 8-10 inch channels as fast as i could bait my hook, in the Leon River.

18. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    This is what I use. I try not to get the ones that are deveined. They stay on the hook a little better

19. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I use the Tv brand shrimp from brookshires sometimes, the channel cats seem to like it

20. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Our grocery also has tv brand. Its like 98 cents a box. You should always have a few in the freezer!